South Bend Heavy 10... to rebuild or not to rebuild

Restore or part out

• Ground Control to Major Tom Put your Helmet ON!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's already in pieces... box it up and sell it.

• I'll take items____ _____ and _____

• Total voters

StepSide 88

Registered
Registered
THAT IS the question.
It's my third lathe since July.
I'm not really sure what to do...
I wasn't looking for it.
It was given to the guy before me so he gave it to me when I showed interest.

It came in pieces, rusted, clumped in a pile under a tree, beside a burn pile.

I've been Mole asting it and marinading pieces in vinegar. Reverse electrolizing the holy rust out of it and I still can't seem to write it off.
What I was sure looked like rust splayed and split gear teeth have turned into possibly worthwhile gears.
So that is why I joined this here forum.
To lay it out so to speak and see what ya'll think about it.
Sell it off as parts or put it back together?
(and fund it by selling one or both of the first two. Or it occurs to me I could sell all three and get a.... what is as cool as an old piece of machinery?0

rather than taking up bandwidth here. here's a link
https://goo.gl/photos/K1r33yqMAYGMK2Zt8

I'll add more photos as I get around to having pieces clean enough to identify.
So far nothing more than a small wire brush and soap and water after the E bath has been done to anything.

Once 'clean' I spray a little Kroil, or Kerneys rust cutter to help loosen things up.
Several pieces including the Spindle/chuck have run through the oven @ 400F for 2-3 hrs but the face plate is still stuck. Chucks off but not the face plate from the spindle.

It does the job.
I was just now uploading the rest of whats been done on the cross feed, apron, and assorted covers and what not.
the thumb-whatcha-ma callit is still stuck.
I just got the cross feed free last night.
I consider this whole step merely a cleanse to see if a detailed final cleaning is warranted,
I did spend an afternoon scrubbing the gear assemblies out with diesel.

That is a South Bend 10L, heavy 10 lathe. Highly regarded. It is worth cleaning it up if it is savable. The parts are also in demand and sought after. The taper attachment is quite desirable.

Thanks Bob.
I'm still looking for the two main pieces of the taper attachment. Not sure they made it.
But there's still some stuff cooking or waiting to...

Could look similar to this someday
IMG_0003.JPG
With some help

Heck yes it's worth fixing up, no broken gear teeth looks like
MS

Ah I missed those; well that could be dealt with. Ebay for the parts. Or even a whole 'nuther box for a few hundred.
Cheaper than buying a whole lathe. I'm sure there is wear here and there on the bed and other places, but you could still get some use out of it. I wouldn't mind having a 10L, even a worn one.
MS

Back