South Bend 9A restoration happening w/pics!!

You're jumping the gun. Get your spindle properly installed/shimmed BEFORE you do any other measurements like this.
For Gins Then:
OD CHUCK MOUNT PLATE .003"
BACK CHUCK PLATE .0015"
SPINDLE NOSE .0015"

Attachments

• 20200209_093055.jpg
    20200209_093055.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
I haven't read this thread in awhile, you've come a long way. I restored a heavy 10 that wasn't quite as bad as yours but still had its surprises. Like you I also learned about it as I went along with the rebuild. One thing for sure is you will understand this machine and its operation like no other. My heavy 10 has become my favorite machine of all my machines. The only way I would ever sell it is if I where to purchase a 13. You have definitely made lemonade from lemons and you should be proud of that. You'll enjoy using it even more once you have made everything right and restored this machine.

You're jumping the gun. Get your spindle properly installed/shimmed BEFORE you do any other measurements like this.
Yep...what he said. Take the chuck off and measure at the spindle.

Made a couple of headstock shims out of an old swarf pan and I can now tighten headstock bolts. Removed thinner extra shim and used new .017" shim along with original thicker shims on each end.

Last edited:
Have you tested the spindle play by inserting a rod in the spindle and pulling up and down and checking the play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you tested the spindle play by inserting a rod in the spindle and pulling up and down and checking the play?

Not yet. I just today got the headstock tightened down and will do some dial indicator testing tomorrow. "If" after doing a thorough testing of the chuck, and found not true, I may buy an import chuck and back plate. The one I have now was made in India. That would be less aggravating than trying to grind the chuck jaws. Anyway I don't have a tool post grinder to do that task. As my best guess right now the chuck is going to need replacing. "MORE MONEY" and the Lathe God's are mad at me! LoL

Don’t worry about chuck runout until you’ve verified that the spindle is within spec.

Don’t worry about chuck runout until you’ve verified that the spindle is within spec.

As long as I can make it cut concentric I'll be happy for my ocasional playing around with it! I really don't have a real need for a lathe. I just like taking non-working equipment and make it purdy and work properly. This is my fifth or sixth lathe and I have another Atlas/Craftsman 618 waiting to be restored. This 9A will be my keeper and the 618 I'll sell to help pay for my SB thrasher! LoL

Used pipe chucked up and got .005" on the back plate. Runout on back plate .003" and runout on jaws .008 - .010"

Attachments

• 20200210_120100.jpg
    20200210_120100.jpg
    806.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200210_120419.jpg
    20200210_120419.jpg
    849.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200210_115606.jpg
    20200210_115606.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 17
Why don't you take the chuck off and stick a wooden handle of some sort in the end of your spindle lift it while indicating it to see if your bearings are adjusted properly. If they're loose you're going to see it as run out in your chuck also. Start at the beginning.

Back