Sourcing Small Diameter Id Grinding Wheels

Have you tried MSC for wheels ?
Yes, I did thanks. They offer one (and only one) wheel in sub-1" diameter, 60 grit.
http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/78708088
This is kind of indicative of KBC, Travers... other typical machining supply places & why what I was quite surprised. Incremental size/grit wheels are really not that common in progressive series. Maybe people just don't do much ID tool post grinding?

Many smaller holes are with mounted wheels. Much like the ones for jig grinding. The tool post grinder would need to have an adapter with collets to fit the shanks which are usually 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, & 3/8. I made an adapter for my tool post grinder that uses 1/8 so I can use the small mounted wheels I have.

Toolpost grinding is a lost art. Luckily there are toolpost grinders still being used, I see them on the local CL every once in a while, and being produced. I'm sure if you looked at a Norton site you could find out what they produce. Contact yhem for a supplier.

The tool post grinder would need to have an adapter with collets to fit the shanks which are usually 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, & 3/8. I made an adapter for my tool post grinder that uses 1/8 so I can use the small mounted wheels I have.

I was supplied with #2097 collet holder shown in post #4. It accommodates 0.125" & 0.250" shanked grinding wheels. I just waiting on delivery of some .250" shanked / mounted pink stones from Travers which I hope will get me through this job. They are dirt cheap. Based on some similar pink ones I have, I have a feeling they might be on the finer grit size if they turn out to be the same, but I'll ease into it & see how it goes. I think I can reach into the bore far enough so the stone passes entirely through.

That's one of the limiting factors with this particular collet system. Mounted stones come in all flavors of shank sizes - Imp, Metric, variations to both... It would have been much nicer to have an ER collet/nit on the end. But it is what it is.

Re your adapter, do you mean you made an entire arbor with the tapered segment that inserts into the matching grinder spindle socket? If so, I'm having similar thoughts. I located some small grinding wheels of about the right diameter but they have metric axle holes. Themac makes a .250" arbor version. It also costs $210. I measured my arbor & it seems very close to a Jacobs #2 taper. I guess as long as I set my compound & match the taper to an existing arbor I should be able to replicate the stock tooling. I tried bluing my arbors in the socket just to get a feel for fit. They seem nice & snug but not much different that a typical taper tool. OTOH, this thing spins at high rpm so it should be as accurate as possible. Any thoughts on this particular dangerous mission?

When making an arbor or collet adapter for these you will have to do as much as possible without taking them out of the lathe. This way everything is concentric and should be balanced. You will have to hold dimensions as close as possible for mating parts. I had a bit of filing and polishing to do on mine to get everything to work properly. For the collet I made the nut first then made the collet holder. Put the nut on the holder and then turned the OD without taking the holder out of the lathe. That way everything ran true. It worked fine for me.

Back