Sourcing Small Diameter Id Grinding Wheels

petertha

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Can anyone recommend suppliers of ID grinding stones? I'm looking for progressive diameters 0.5" - 1.0", thickness .25-.50", some variety of grit would be nice. Suspect aluminum oxide is fine but maybe something also suited to grinding cast iron too. I see lots of pre-mounted stones in all flavours of grit & shapes with 1/8 or 1/4" shank. Those need to be collet held which doesn't work as well in my application. I'm specifically after the cylindrical donuts for a dedicated tool post grinder arbor.

I keep hearing Norton & Radiac & suspect that's the ones I've inherited. But their industrial websites are a bit brutal to navigate & ultimately I need to buy them onsey-twosey volume from a (assume) machining distributer. Any leads appreciated.

Somebody mentioned these could be water jet from surface grind stones. I don't have any connections in that regard, but does anyone have experience there? From water jet pics they can cut all sorts of rock & marble in this thickness with controlled kerf. But for example would the jetting cutting weaken the stone & be cause for safety concerns?

2-28-2016 0003.jpg

Would die grinding stones work? You might be able to make a small holder for them to adapt to your toolpost grinder.

By die grinding stones, I think you mean these? (what I call pre-mounted / shanked). They will work in many instances & I do have a collet adapter to grip either 1/8 or 1/4" shank. But for my immediate project I need the stone 'donut' style to reach in further. Plus I suspect its a more rigid setup runout/vibration wise to just have arbor + stone vs. arbor + collet + shank + stone.

2-28-2016 0004.jpg

Typical arbors if that helps clarify

2-28-2016 0005.jpg

I picked up something called an Emory Wheel at Harbor Freight last week...
It has an arbor hole of 3/8-7/16" - 4" diameter wheel- it fits the lil bitty grinder spindle I picked up recently.
It was packaged with a 4" very fine grit diamond wheel with a 5\8" arbor hole.
Kind of a weird combination in the same pack, but who am I to argue for only 10 bucks or so...

I'm not a big fan of Horror Fright but sometimes the prices just cannot be beat.

TommyD, thanks for links. Looks like Dumore & their distributers sell some common stones compatible with their spindles & arbors. I suspect they are probably Radiac or Norton, but who cares. At least available in onsey-twosey vs. a 'box full' which is not an option for me. Themac has similar offerings but possibly not as many in the diameter range I'm after. Yes, been checking Ebay & continue to do so, its hit & miss. Lots of shank mounted stones, less of the donuts.

A bit surprised how hard these are to find. Is this closer to what you are looking for ebay#370876771292

mcmaster carr
Oh now you're rubbing salt in my wound :)
(McMaster stopped shipping to Canada quite a while ago, except for larger commercial accounts.) But if its really worth it, I have my ways... :)

Back