Source for pulleys

Anyone have a source for cheap pulleys ???
I've got a new project I'm designing that will require a pulley between 6" and 12" in diameter. The smaller the diameter, the wider it will need to be.
Basically, I need something that can be mounted on a shaft and can roll up about 20' of either rope or cable on it without binding. Rope diameter would be 1/2" or smaller, cable would be even smaller diameter.
I'm looking to source one instead of making it since, if project works, I'd need quite a few. I'm open to other suggestions that might work for this application as well, instead of a pulley.

With a drawing and if you needed enough it might be worth casting them in aluminum. They could be cast with a shaft in the casting and then press out the shaft for minimal machine work, let me know if that is something you might consider.

With a drawing and if you needed enough it might be worth casting them in aluminum. They could be cast with a shaft in the casting and then press out the shaft for minimal machine work, let me know if that is something you might consider.

All good suggestions.
The biggest reason for wanting to resource some of the parts is to reduce production time if it sells.
Another is to get the prototype ready and tested for a mid September showing. In between, I have to build a load cell test rig to gather data for the controller I'll have to make, build and code the controller, build the prototype, and test it.

Anyone have a source for cheap pulleys ???
I've got a new project I'm designing that will require a pulley between 6" and 12" in diameter. The smaller the diameter, the wider it will need to be.
Basically, I need something that can be mounted on a shaft and can roll up about 20' of either rope or cable

An auto front wheel, on a front axle, rolls nicely. Small one from a junkyard
ought not cost terribly. Remove the tire, of course.

Was cobbling up a slow-speed pulley system for my drill press and found a pulley from an older washing machine--about 9/10 inch diameter. If memory serves me it had a 1/2 inch bore--maybe 5/8 @ max. Also found a website had sold them. Had the site bookmarked but alas, that 'puter is no more. Goggled something like "washing machine pulley" or ???? I'll post a link if I can relocate it. Good luck. Sammy

I did a belt drive conversion for my mill and found what I needed on Amazon fairly cheap. If you don't find the correct bore size, buy smaller and bore it to fit your shaft. Not sure about something as large as you need though. The car rim idea sound worth investigating and rims are cheap and plentyfull at the auto scrap yards. Would be fairly simple to fabricate something in the shaft size you need that you can either bolt or weld on. Harbor freight sells a lot of different size/type wheels and such for wheel barrels, carts etc. May be able to rig something cheap from what you can find there, and then be able to get more as needed.

Last edited:
Back