Source for pulleys

JPigg55

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Anyone have a source for cheap pulleys ???
I've got a new project I'm designing that will require a pulley between 6" and 12" in diameter. The smaller the diameter, the wider it will need to be.
Basically, I need something that can be mounted on a shaft and can roll up about 20' of either rope or cable on it without binding. Rope diameter would be 1/2" or smaller, cable would be even smaller diameter.
I'm looking to source one instead of making it since, if project works, I'd need quite a few. I'm open to other suggestions that might work for this application as well, instead of a pulley.

Pick up a little kids bicycle wheel and make a hub. It will hold more than a normal pulley and is usually easily sourcable

I know you want to buy instead of make.
However, some large diameter pipe with some ends welded create the mentioned above capstan.

Daryl
MNl

For 20' of 1/2" rope, assuming a single stack, a 12" dia pulley would require 7 rows giving you a 3.5" wide pulley.

Doesn't sound like a standard size, maybe making your own as suggested would be the best solution.

A capstan would be the design I'm looking for, but need larger diameter for leverage. I considered making it with pipe, but don't have the equipment to make the end caps that big.
If it comes to making it, I'm thinking wood might be the material of choice. I could easily make a center hub and plates to attach the wood capstan/pulley to.
Thanks for the suggestions.

If you decide you want metal, then draw me a print.
Consider designing it so it will fit in the smallest appropriate flat rate box.

Daryl
MN

A capstan would be the design I'm looking for, but need larger diameter for leverage. I considered making it with pipe, but don't have the equipment to make the end caps that big.
If it comes to making it, I'm thinking wood might be the material of choice. I could easily make a center hub and plates to attach the wood capstan/pulley to.
Thanks for the suggestions.
Smaller has more torque if pulling something heavy, than a larger hub.
But I might be mis-interpretting what you are doing.
When you use a larger diameter it pulls more line, so you need a larger amount of force to overcome whatever you are pulling / lifting

If you could find metal pie plates ,or steel woks , you could fab up your need. Old sauce pan in center. Thinking out of the box. How strong do they need to be?

Back