Source for good quality 4" 3-jaw chuck (import)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For $100, that Chinesium Shars is as good as you're going to do 'new'. They are basically the same cheap chinese chucks you find on ebay with a little better quality control. Depending on what you want to do with it, it could be 'good enough'.

That said, I typically for about $2-300 you can find some really good chucks. I think there is a 4" atlas 3 jaw on ebay right now for ~$200 shipped that is a really good deal.

If you're stuck at $100 and are willing to go with a 5" I'd just get this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Bison-ch...a=1&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109

Make a key for it, and regrind the jaws if you need to.

I bought a Shars 6" with an integrated D1-4 mount a few months ago. I've been very happy with it. Actually, I've been pretty happy with everything I've purchased from Shars over the last couple years.

Shars used to be a lot cheaper too. When the tariffs came out last year they hiked their prices 20-30% overnight. They still are the best deal out there for mid-quality Asian imports, but not quite as good as before.

This doesn't change the fact that my used lathe came missing its chuck and I need to buy one. Again the question I asked was is if anyone had a recommendation on a supplier they had been happy with.

I'm sorry if you don't like the snarkiness, try answering the question asked.

You're right, I didn't answer your question directly. I only have one experience with one Chinese supplier - HHIP on ebay - but have been happy with the tool. They tend to sell better stuff than most.

Of the 30K members, you are the only snark here. You are also the first one to make my ignored list - congrats.

Hi everyone, I know there have been some things said that have upset some people. Let's all try to live up to the namesake of "the friendly machinist forum". Hopefully we can ignore comments that rub the wrong way and focus on discussing machines.

There's a lot of wealth of knowledge on this forum and lots of different perspectives. Some are younger and some older, some like import tools, others cherish their name brands.

I'm hoping that moving forward we can share and receive information openly.

Mike

Unless you are dealing with something like a 7x14 lathe, you may be able to go to a 5" 3J scroll which is better built. Shar's carries a better quality "CS chuck" line which is not that much more with 2 piece jaws and a claimed TIR of 0.00012 or better for their 5". Overall a much nicer built chuck, the 5" runs $220 which is inexpensive in comparison to say a Bison. Otherwise you can" hunt eBay for a name brand NOS 4-5" and see what shows up.
For those who are thinking about buying this chuck, the TIR is actually 0.0012". Still a respectable number though.

For those who are thinking about buying this chuck, the TIR is actually 0.0012". Still a respectable number though.

It looks like a really nice chuck. More than I wanted to pay but within what I'd be willing to pay.
As someone has already pointed out to me privately, best to get your backplate after you've got your chuck ;-)

My precious ...

X68YnBbl.jpg
Shars?? :)
Big sum bi#$%

Actually the freight charge on that was on par with what shars charges to send a 10 pack of inserts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back