Source for good quality 4" 3-jaw chuck (import)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 5" might be pushing it for your lathe. While it might fit, you probably wont be able to open the jaws beyond the OD of the chuck which would seriously limit clamping range.
Yes. Good point. 6" was a total non starter but you may be right on the above. I always figure there is a reason engineers design things a certain way to begin with :) Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my MI PAD 4 PLUS using Tapatalk

Wow! Hadn't seen those. For the two piece jaws alone I'd pay the extra. That will let you use soft jaws down if you need to down the road. Took me a while before I started using soft jaws but I think they are invaluable.

I can't ever justify name brand stuff for a hobby, but this would be one place where I'd consider the upgrade.

If I could only use 1 chuck it would be a 3 jaw (2-piece). I love me some soft jaws. I have a Bison Set-Tru and rarely ever have to indicate anything. Don't even have to re-skim soft jaws after swapping back from hard jaws.

If I never had to do production I would obviously prefer a quality 4 jaw, but one can really fly with a quality 3 jaw.

I'm a monster and usually use a 4 jaw. Unless I'm making lots of parts straight from barstock...

I'm a monster and usually use a 4 jaw. Unless I'm making lots of parts straight from barstock...

We have a 6 jaw on one lathe, collet system on another ... the rest of them live 100% in 4-jaw mode (at work).

I probably look like a monkey that is scratching his head, but when I use a 4-jaw it feels like I am a machining god. It is the superior tool.

My precious ...

X68YnBbl.jpg

Dear god that's beautiful. I just wish I owned the lathe it's attached to.

At 600rpm, the edge of the chuck would be flying past your head at 50 miles per hour. That's terrifying.

But what a gorgeous machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back