Some of my work.

Yeah, it's nice changing blades too.
Shame, I have not used mine too much lately. Hope to get back into all this soon, still things are a little rough.
Thinking about keeping the cat now, still have to see.

- - - Updated - - -

is this ambrosia maple?
That is spalted maple that I dug out of a friends firewood pile.
I do hope you keep the kitty, she was thrust into a situation she didn't ask for either, like you.
Sounds like the person you trusted to care for her was a jerk on many levels.

This table is one that my grandparents owned. My sister and brother-in-law refinished it. I've eaten many meals prepared by my grandma at it. Now it sits in their dining room! Nice work!

Without the expansion leaves.

Before/in progress

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW that spalted maple bowl is awsome. If nothing else this site keeps a guy humble.

That is beautiful work Greg. It would be interesting to see your shop. I also, like making projects from the log. I've cut some of my own here on the farm, walnut, oak, poplar and beach. However, a friend that deals in veneer grade logs that get shipped out of the country, got me some northern cherry that was just under grade and I was able to make our kitchen cabinets out of them, along with other projects. I was able to work around the little bit of gum that was in it and they turned out pretty good. Lots of nice raised panels.

We recently installed a big screen TV that my wife won in a drawing at the Delaware State Fair and she designed what she wanted to see in a cabinet around it. Since it is a flat screen, she didn't want a cabinet that was very deep and would take up much space in the living room. We made it just deep enough to store the CD's and such in the doors at the bottom. It's some of my best walnut that I sawed a lot of years ago and has been stock piled. I prefer not to include sapwood in most of my work, especially since I have more than I'll ever use up.

After we made the cabinet, she drew up what she would like to see to take the place of a Christmas Tree this year, since we no longer have small children. I hope the picture will show up good.

Isn't it a pleasure to see a nice piece of saw mill board come out of a planer with so much beauty.

Jim Dunn
Harrington, Delaware

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Excellent work Jim, I know what you mean about seeing your rough sawn wood come out of the planer or jointer. Is that a dulcimer on the wall? I love your clock as well, there's a clock on my bucket list and I have a stash of cherry just for it, but I wont work around the pitch pockets or streaks as I like that look. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I like semi rustic in my woods and I rarely cut out the defects as I find them beautiful. Thanks for sharing some of your work here with us. I don't know if I posted my shop here or not? Don't we have a show your shop thread here somewhere?

Those are some really great projects Greg. Your patience for detail of design and execution are remarkable.

Back