Some of my work.

Nice,
Scroll work is something else, don't know if l have the patience for that.
Not sure If I should show mine now or not....:roflmao::LOL:

Nice,
Scroll work is something else, don't know if l have the patience for that.
Not sure If I should show mine now or not....:roflmao::LOL:

You should definitely show your work, we would all like to see it!

You are a demon jigsawer!! The wood in your trestle table looks very pleasant. What is it? Very nice work on the wooden "basket"!!

I have just bought a vintage Delta jigsaw for a young apprentice I was hoping to have. Didn't pan out. Mega talented kid though,12 years old. I had a Hegner variable speed jigsaw,but a pain to change the blades,plus,the blade went a little forward and backwards with that infernal rocking beam motion most new saws have. The motion sort of abrades the wood on the sides of the blade if you pause in the sawing. hat Hegner was about $1200.00 new. I got it used just a little. The old Delta goes straight up and down,and blade changes MUCH easier. Why they don't make them like that any more I don't know. I don't do any jigsaw work,but thought it safe for the 12 year old kid. I ought to do some nice scroll work,though. Have thought of making a Renaissance style wooden book holder for my wife. But now she doesn't read in bed any more. Just messes with her smart phone!!

I posted a marquetry guitar in "Your Moderators at work",but it is all hand sawn with a deep throat wooden fret saw I made for the job.

Do you design your own scroll work? I always do.

Some of the members here have asked to see some of my work after seeing my milling post so here ya go. I'll let the pics speak for themselves so I don't bore you all with the details.

- - - Updated - - -

So now you all have a little idea about what kinds of things I like to make. If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer them.
Greg

Bite your tongue! Details are what this forum, and life is all about!

Nice work!

You are a demon jigsawer!! The wood in your trestle table looks very pleasant. What is it? Very nice work on the wooden "basket"!!

I have just bought a vintage Delta jigsaw for a young apprentice I was hoping to have. Didn't pan out. Mega talented kid though,12 years old. I had a Hegner variable speed jigsaw,but a pain to change the blades,plus,the blade went a little forward and backwards with that infernal rocking beam motion most new saws have. The motion sort of abrades the wood on the sides of the blade if you pause in the sawing. hat Hegner was about $1200.00 new. I got it used just a little. The old Delta goes straight up and down,and blade changes MUCH easier. Why they don't make them like that any more I don't know. I don't do any jigsaw work,but thought it safe for the 12 year old kid. I ought to do some nice scroll work,though. Have thought of making a Renaissance style wooden book holder for my wife. But now she doesn't read in bed any more. Just messes with her smart phone!!

I posted a marquetry guitar in "Your Moderators at work",but it is all hand sawn with a deep throat wooden fret saw I made for the job.

Do you design your own scroll work? I always do.
The wood on the table is black walnut with sapwood for the top, and bread board ends. The legs, stretcher and feet are red oak. All the wood was sawn and milled by me and air dried for a few years before use. No George I do not design my own scrolling work or patterns, wish I could draw but that's a skill I don't have, I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, LOL. All the wood in my projects except for the large segmented red and white bowl are from woods that I obtain locally and mill myself. I very rarely buy wood, milling wood is just part of the process for me, very cool and gratifying to take a project from tree to finished item. I saw your guitar George, wow, outstanding work. My scroll saw is just a pos delta that I cannot even get parts for anymore, I have had to make parts for it. I would like to get a dewalt 20" or a general 20" but that one cost a grand. I think I will go with the dewalt and upgrade my lathe next.

I think you will like the Dewalt.
Tony

Tony, I got to try one out pretty extensively, I liked it, very low vibration, variable speed, controls up front, great tensioner, a very nice saw.
When I was making the basket pictured above I never thought about saw size until I couldn't complete the cuts on my saw ( I think it is a 16") I couldn't make the large swing. I just saw the basket in a magazine and said hey I would like to make one of those, prepped the wood, adhered the pattern and away I went. A friend let me borrow his Dewalt saw to finish the cuts on my basket project, I really liked it, I said this will be my next saw. That basket was a good test for the saw as it is very detailed and had lots of repeated cuts that had to be the same, the Dewalt shined.

Tony, I got to try one out pretty extensively, I liked it, very low vibration, variable speed, controls up front, great tensioner, a very nice saw.
When I was making the basket pictured above I never thought about saw size until I couldn't complete the cuts on my saw ( I think it is a 16") I couldn't make the large swing. I just saw the basket in a magazine and said hey I would like to make one of those, prepped the wood, adhered the pattern and away I went. A friend let me borrow his Dewalt saw to finish the cuts on my basket project, I really liked it, I said this will be my next saw. That basket was a good test for the saw as it is very detailed and had lots of repeated cuts that had to be the same, the Dewalt shined.

Yeah, it's nice changing blades too.
Shame, I have not used mine too much lately. Hope to get back into all this soon, still things are a little rough.
Thinking about keeping the cat now, still have to see.

- - - Updated - - -

is this ambrosia maple?

woodworking-and-shop-043.jpg

Back