So I Was Running Around the Scrap House

USMCDOC

Registered
Registered
And i found these! They are for mining, drill bit holders.. they have about a ton of them.. at 25 cents a lb.. i figure i would go ahead and get about 100 lbs of them.. and then make tool holders out of them.. here is one while i am taking a break from it all and thought i would post a pic of the raw billet and the partial holder as it is right now.

20170609_153156.jpg

Last edited:
Are there set screws?
Are there a range of sizes?
Are they hardened? They may be difficult to machine.

Daryl
MN

They look like rivet sets for aircraft riveting. Is there a hole in the end for a drill bit or concave dome for a rivet?

i could ship up to what is it.. 50lbs in a flat rate box!

My medium flat rate boxes say 70lbs on them.
I went on the USPS site and they say the flat rate boxes are the same price regardless of weight (domestically).
So no weight limit now?

Problem I've had is you load one of those boxes up with steel and they blow out a corner and it arrives at its destination empty.

They look pretty hard from the machining done on the one pictured. I'd have picked up a few myself. Good find have you done any drilling on them? I would bet there air hammer anvils from Jack hammers.

The current "2017 Pass Around Box" uses a Medium Sized USPS Flat Rate Box. It has an Aluminum Inner Box that slips inside the Flat Rate Box to keep all the tooling, etc. together. When it left my location it was ~42lbs.

Are there set screws?

No there are not any set screws.

Are there a range of sizes?

I have not measured all of the ones there, but some have that "CAT 40" taper to them..

Are they hardened? They may be difficult to machine.

I have only be able to take off 5K a side.. of course, i am using "Mainland China" tooling right now..

Back