So I want a tool and cutter grinder…

I concur. But most times the flutes on mine are not dull. I did use my flute attachment and do the flutes on one end mill. It worked. What I’m calling a Checkel is a Chinese Deckel copy and I’m sure it’s not as nice as the Shars version. The only good thing is it’s the R8 collet version.

The Sheckel comes with a flute attachment that works very well. With Norton stones they come out perfect. 2-6 flute end mill ends come out good, but you need to gash cut the facets on the face with a thin diamond wheel like you're supposed to. So with the exception of adequate grinding wheels, the D-bit clone can do faces and flutes right out of the box.

I have a Darex E90 that has an air bearing. It’s pretty impressive, but still takes practice to develop a good technique. For awhile I wrecked as many end mills as I saved. :)

I bought a Shars grinder and am quite please with it. It was my pick of the bunch because it used 5C collets, now I have to build myself a small heat-treat furnace. I wish I had more time to play with it, only used it to make a few form tools for the lathe.

I'm going to have some neat stuff at my estate auction someday :D
:D:D:D

I have a Darex E90 that has an air bearing. It’s pretty impressive, but still takes practice to develop a good technique. For awhile I wrecked as many end mills as I saved. :)

I had to clean up some sprayed coffee after reading the second sentence, because it really jabbed my funny bone! Yeah, one does not simply just unbox a tool and grind end mills. The MACHINE is equipped to do so, it's still on you to figure it out. Not everyone has the spatial skills to picture grinding operations and movements, those need to be developed. You will ruin some end mills in the process, so practice on junk or stubs. It's the operator that must be equipped, that part doesn't come with the package. I thoroughly enjoy tool grinding, it's worth the investment.

Yeah, one does not simply just unbox a tool and grind end mills. The MACHINE is equipped to do so, it's still on you to figure it out. Not everyone has the spatial skills to picture grinding operations and movements, those need to be developed.
For true. I got a steal deal on a Kao Ming/Jet, et al, T&C, did a thorough clean up of it, even bought a VFD for it and to this day, it's still sitting, waiting for me to make the time and pay the dues to learn how to use it.

jack vines

Wife told me to go ahead and order the Quorn complete kit from Hemingway for my Birthday/Christmas/Hanukkah present, so I placed the order last week. They are hoping castings come in within the next week, and it will be on its way! Looking forward to the challenge. Hope I don’t $&@?! It all up!

The Quorn is a seriously fun project, I've thoroughly enjoyed my build. A challenge but that's why it's so rewarding.

Hemingway have been great supplying replacement castings. Mine is based on MK2 castings I bought from eBay (bought by somebody and never started), so was lacking some of the ali guard castings and suchlike. I also had trouble with the gunmetal pivot casting, party due to my momentary stupidity, but mainly because of a huge void inside it. The chap at Hemingway was more than happy to help, even though they didn't supply me a kit, and took an order over the phone for the bits I needed.

Please do start a build thread! I need to update mine once I've finished filling and painting the various bits prior to assembly.

Back