So I want a tool and cutter grinder…

Christianstark

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Don’t really NEED it, but it really like to be able to make my own cutting tools.

I think I would love to make a Quorn, so I’m torn between the Mk III kit from Hemingway, or just get a functioning Shars unit with all the fixings for about the same cost.

Thoughts?

OR talk me into a hot shot oven instead… my birthday is coming up :)

Do you use HSS end mills?

Do you use HSS end mills?

I would. Right now I have some carbide end mills and insert facemills, but would love the capability of being able to sharpen. I have a Few HSS cutters I don’t use because they are dull. Got them as a used lot.

I would. Right now I have some carbide end mills and insert facemills, but would love the capability of being able to sharpen. I have a Few HSS cutters I don’t use because they are dull. Got them as a used lot.
99% of my end mills are HSS. 80% of them I got with my well used mill drill and all of them were dull. I decided on a Chinese copy of a Deckel tool grinder. It was similar to I think what you are talking about when you say Shars. I think that’s the nicer version as it uses 5c collet where mine uses R8. The original Deckel used smaller metric collets as it was designed to sharpen single lip cutter. Not good for the size end mills I use. I was able to resurrect over 15 end mills and sharpen my original Chinese set of end mills. It’s not something I do every day because it seems my sharpening seems to last longer than original grinds. I don’t live where I can just go in and buy an end mill so it has really convenient to not only sharpen but also do custom grinds.

I have a diamond wheel and have sharpened my solid carbide cutters on the Checkel but mostly I use my bench tool grinder for the brazed boring bars etc.

Sounds like you may be a vote for a Chekle in lieu of a quorn project.

99% of my end mills are HSS. 80% of them I got with my well used mill drill and all of them were dull. I decided on a Chinese copy of a Deckel tool grinder. It was similar to I think what you are talking about when you say Shars. I think that’s the nicer version as it uses 5c collet where mine uses R8. The original Deckel used smaller metric collets as it was designed to sharpen single lip cutter. Not good for the size end mills I use. I was able to resurrect over 15 end mills and sharpen my original Chinese set of end mills. It’s not something I do every day because it seems my sharpening seems to last longer than original grinds. I don’t live where I can just go in and buy an end mill so it has really convenient to not only sharpen but also do custom grinds.

I have a diamond wheel and have sharpened my solid carbide cutters on the Checkel but mostly I use my bench tool grinder for the brazed boring bars etc.

Tool and cutter grinding is a deep subject. My advice is decide what you really want to do. It ranges from the Shars you mentioned to a Cincinnati monoset and everything in between. I have an Alexander SO clone and a very old covel T&C grinder. Both are very useful. I’d recommend finding a well tooled up KOLee T&C grinder. The tooling is everything. Cincinnati grinders still command a premium price, but a Monoset would be fabulous. With enough patience and practice you can sharpen or make anything.

I am. I looked at several tool grinder set ups and decided against making it because I had too many other things to do. And it’s hard to make a tool to sharpen tools when all my tools are dull :)

I started with hss lathe and shaper tools on the T&C grinder. Simple compound angles, not overly challenging to visualize and hold. Performed and lasted better than freehand ground. I’ve only done engraving d-bits on the Alexander so far. I hope to do the ends of end mills Soon.

Back