So, I came into a pallet load of .062 MIG wire...

"One likely problem is my grounding."

I suggest only using an additional clamp or vice grip when the part is too small for the ground clamp, otherwise you are creating one more path of resistance for the current circuit to flow. i.e. an overheated ground clamp. If you like the c-clamp or vice grip method then attach your ground lead to the custom made clamp.

Dumb question... Could the flux core wire be cut into 12" chunks and used on an arc stick welder?

Dumb question... Could the flux core wire be cut into 12" chunks and used on an arc stick welder?
The wire is thick, but I doubt thick enough to be stiff enough to use for stick welding.

Chris

You are not far from a shipyard and very likely several ship manufacturing subcontractors, this would explain why someone has a skid of largish fluxcore GMAW wire.

When you build large structures you use skids of wire per day. I do not know this as fact but would not be surprised that when building weldments for the US Military a simple "Welding wire must be sourced from this manufacturer, all other materials are noncompliant after this date" order is not out of the question.

A contractor may have hundreds of reels of wire that do not meet the new requirements so in the scrap they go.

Back