Smithy 1220 4 jaw independent chuck adapter?

I’ve pondered a 4 jaw for my smithy as well, but don’t want to drop the money on a new one. It’s actually a capable lathe. It’s more rigid than my SB 9, so I use it for heavier stuff, or things that require a larger pass through.

I’ve pondered a 4 jaw for my smithy as well, but don’t want to drop the money on a new one. It’s actually a capable lathe. It’s more rigid than my SB 9, so I use it for heavier stuff, or things that require a larger pass through.
Lets say the 4 jaw was free so its worth a plate attempt.
Im on the hunt for a chunk of steel. Been on the look out for a older treadmill curb side in hopes it had a steel “flywheel” big enough.

If it ever comes back in stock …been waiting a while.
iirc it was close to $70 bucks shipped?
So what do I do
Spend $70 on material hours machining it possible mess it up or toss $70 into the tool piggy bank?

Lets say the 4 jaw was free so its worth a plate attempt.
Im on the hunt for a chunk of steel. Been on the look out for a older treadmill curb side in hopes it had a steel “flywheel” big enough.
Free is always good. Just seems rare in a post COVID world. I keep my eyes and ears open for stuff but rarely stumble on anything.

Free is always good. Just seems rare in a post COVID world. I keep my eyes and ears open for stuff but rarely stumble on anything.
Its been rare for sure , although it came from a group I have been swaping and giving stuff with for years. Also came into some nicer mics, dial indicators , test indicators , V blocks, gauge blocks , pins and a good amount of cutting tools I have yet to even sort through.
Only thing that seems hard to come by is lathes made in the last 50 years ! Everything is 70 plus years old and worn , lol.

I did come across a treadmill in hopes of a cast iron flywheel for more material but looks like its very thin where I need it?

Hello seems like something to make this adaptor is not too hard to find and not really expensive...
Click on one or more of the links below. Happy New Year! Dave

Ebay 6" Plate round circle

Ebay 6" Disk

Ebay 6.5" Disk

Ebay 6" Disk

Search Ebay for " 6" disk " In Business & Industrial --> CNC, Metalworking & Manufacturing --> Raw Materials
Thank you
Hot rolled has been a bear to machine for me. I dont know what im doing wrong , plus the light cuts my machine a capable of It will take for ever to machine it down
I was/am really trying to do this on a $0 budget
I made a practice run with aluminum to get my set up and OoOs down better.

Back