Smithy 1220 4 jaw independent chuck adapter?

mac1911

Registered
Registered
For those who have added a 4 jaw chuck to your 1220 what adapter plate did you need or make?

Not really geared up to make a plate so I prefer to buy one

The spindle flange is a 3 bolt as is the 5” 3 -JAW so far all the 4 jaw chucks are 4 bolt .

My 4 jaw came with a D - something plate on the back. I took the plate off the back of the 4 jaw and removed the D posts. I carefully mounted the plate in the three jaw and turned the back to fit the lathe spindle. it is like 100mm if I remember correctly. then I drilled and tapped the three mounting bolt holes.... pictures attached I made an adapter for the 5C chuck also

Attachments

• IMG_2461.jpg
    IMG_2461.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2462.jpg
    IMG_2462.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2463.jpg
    IMG_2463.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 2
im trying to decide if I should try and make something fit or just get the one straight from smithy.

Are you looking to get the biggest Smithy carry ? The 8”. Just checked the Smithy site and they no longer list an 8” 4 jaw chuck only 6” . I bought an 8” 4 jaw from Grizzly and made a backplate , it works ok but thought it was too heavy so I bought a 6” and use the old backplate , I didn’t trim it down thinking I could always go back but it’s been a while so I’ll just trim it

Last edited:
Are you looking to get the biggest Smithy carry ? The 8”. Just checked the Smithy site and they no longer list an 8” 4 jaw chuck only 6” . I bought an 8” 4 jaw from Grizzly and made a backplate , it works ok but thought it was too heavy so I bought a 6” and use the old backplate , I didn’t trim it down thinking I could always go back but it’s been a while so I’ll just trim it
No Looking at the 1220 gear head when I cleaned and inspected everything I would not go 8”
The 5 or 6 in is more than plenty than I will every need.
Smithy wants $250 iirc
My source of scrap is minimal so I would need to buy something to make adapter for the 4 jaw I was considering. Then the time to make everything fit. The time/money equation comes out telling me to just buy the smithy.
I got one more 4 jaw chuck to check out locally.

I was able to grab this 5” 4 jaw bison chuck
Which mounts from the front be 4 bolts.
Smithy 1220 is a fixed flange spindle 3 hole mount. Im very new to machine work and not sure how to accurately lay out the 3 mounting holes to the adapter plate.
Im going to practice making the recess and flanged indexing shoulders for the plate to spindle flange and back of chuck.

Might see If I cant just sell this and get the one direct from smithy?
Funds are tight for upgrades

Attachments

• 058C6620-6AB3-496E-BDEE-640B5816AEB4.jpeg
    058C6620-6AB3-496E-BDEE-640B5816AEB4.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 40A8AB21-8D15-4C15-B9F1-2F725D830BA3.jpeg
    40A8AB21-8D15-4C15-B9F1-2F725D830BA3.jpeg
    239.9 KB · Views: 2
That's a really nice chuck. If you can sell it for a good price it's obviously faster to buy the Smithy. You can figure out the bolt circle of the mounting holes from the back of your 3 jaw, (trace it on a piece of paper?) . It's probably some even millimeter dimension.. Do you have a DRO or a rotary table?

That's a really nice chuck. If you can sell it for a good price it's obviously faster to buy the Smithy. You can figure out the bolt circle of the mounting holes from the back of your 3 jaw, (trace it on a piece of paper?) . It's probably some even millimeter dimension.. Do you have a DRO or a rotary table?
No DRO or rotary table , dont know if I will even bother setting this thing up that far vs selling it when I find my limits and upgrade.

I have a few ideas of transfering the 3 holes off the flange.
Was thinking harden tipped set screws , then mount the adapter plate with a draw bolt to indent the holes.
Still need to find a piece of scrap big enough. If I have to buy a chunk of cast big enough I might as well buy the smithy.

I still need to go through the mill portion my first run with it was dismal , lots of wobble it pushes the cross slide all over the place.

Last edited:
No dro or rotary table

I look at the tracing method and question the accuracy along with machining the recess to fit over the spindle.
I have a scrap of aluminum to give it a try.
Now im sorting out order of operations. I am very new to all this and dont get much time on the lathe. Over the past year I think I have 12 hours total and in those 12 hours I have made several parts to repair things around the house.
One of which was a shaft for my 30 year old snow blower. The replacement shaft was close to $300 which is more than I paid for the lathe.

Small and slow steps here
DB5D87BB-B069-4841-902C-147B88A77678.jpeg

Back