Smallish face mill

Thanks, my application probably doesn't include cutting anything at .400" and probably not a 90° shoulder either. I just want to be able to do some surfacing on relatively small parts, with my very small mill....

JOhn

Would this style of insert have enough grades to cover steel, aluminum and bronze?

Guess I really need to buy your book @davidpbest

JOhn
My book is about lathe tooling, not indexable milling cutters. Sorry.

One of the things I like best about the Haas indexable tooling is that they are very clear what material the insert is best suited for. Most of the other insert manufacturers assign a cryptic and proprietary grading code that is only helpful in understand what materials it will work well with if you have their 4" thick tooling catalog.

For instance.

screenshot_5372.jpg

Thanks, my application probably doesn't include cutting anything at .400" and probably not a 90° shoulder either. I just want to be able to do some surfacing on relatively small parts, with my very small mill....

JOhn
In that case, I would suggest a 2.5" HOP type. The insert has 8 cutting edges, so it should last a long time.

You will need a face mill arbor and the screw that goes with the Haas face mill.

David, thanks for the concise answer to my questions. I can definitely see the advantage to the HAAS system and I really would like to invest in tooling that will grow with my skills and tools going forward.

Here's the mill in question:
BB4.jpg

And the arbor I'll need to adapt to unless I find a facemill that works on a 1/2" arbor or I gain enough confidence to make a 4C collet:
arbor.png

I also have a CNC mill project that takes BT20 tooling, a standard created by the Keebler Elves according to a member on another forum.

Yes, tiny stuff but I have grand ambitions for my next tool building project.

John

Wow - that's really cool. Looks like a watch makers Kearney & Trecker. I assume there is some kind of belt drive on the back of that mill?

Wow - that's really cool. Looks like a watch makers Kearney & Trecker. I assume there is some kind of belt drive on the back of that mill?
It’s essentially a headstock from one of their lathes, the belts are in the middle.

Just got this one today.

D0055D38-B5C2-47E0-91B9-A35CC55CABE7.jpeg

4D79C41F-5EE5-40B2-A15C-4BF60D5B04BC.jpeg

John

That is an awfully big cutter for that dinky machine.
It's 2", other than end mills I'm not sure I can find anything smaller. Will make up an arbor and give it a try, if it doesn't work out I guess I'll have to buy something larger.

The machine is pretty stout for it's size though....

John

Back