Smallish face mill

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I wouldn't take the risk with the Amazon unit you post, and the one on eBay is a very old style and you might find it difficult to source inserts that fit it.

I have several face mills from Haas and I'm very happy with them (no affiliation). They are excellent quality. More information is here. And here. And below is the link to the Haas web page for their various face mills.

I wouldn't take the risk with the Amazon unit you post, and the one on eBay is a very old style and you might find it difficult to source inserts that fit it.

I have several face mills from Haas and I'm very happy with them (no affiliation). They are excellent quality. More information is here. And here. And below is the link to the Haas web page for their various face mills.

Excellent.

Their smallest one is right in my price range too. This is for my Hardinge BB4 so 2” should be great.

Thanks,

John

I have one like the Amazon listing. It will remove material, but I can't get a good surface finish with it. I don't think all the carbide insert pockets are machined the same and one or two inserts are lower than the others.

I have one like the Amazon listing. It will remove material, but I can't get a good surface finish with it. I don't think all the carbide insert pockets are machined the same and one or two inserts are lower than the others.
This is typical of the cheap indexable tool on Amazon - and sometimes from Shars. Have a look at this:

Excellent.

Their smallest one is right in my price range too. This is for my Hardinge BB4 so 2” should be great.

Thanks,

John
Pay attention to the insert shape/style. I have Haas versions that take the HOP and HPRN types, but they have different applications. Here's another post by Mark that might be helpful:

I have a Shars face mill that does remove material but I'm not delighted with it. I have had good luck with the one I bought from Glacern, using Iscar inserts. I can't say how it compares to the Haas, but it makes the Shars one look like junk.

Okay, now you have me confused.

More research ahead, my shop is definitely on the lower budget side but I hate to waste money on stuff that won't do the job needed. Just not sure what the job will be and can't afford to tool up 4 different facemills for this little horizontal.

I'm tempted to try and figure out a good general purpose insert that will do okay on steel and aluminum, then figure out where to go from there.

Reality is, the cheap stuff might work fine for what I have in mind.

John

Would this style of insert have enough grades to cover steel, aluminum and bronze?

Guess I really need to buy your book @davidpbest

JOhn

Decide if you need to cut to a 90° shoulder at depths up to 0.400". If you do, then the HRNP is the face mill is what you want. For that face mill, you will want an insert specific to aluminum (of you need to machine that material) and / or one for steel.

If instead you're looking for a face mill for fine surface finishing, and are willing to give up on cutting to a 90-degree shoulder, then I would recommend the HOP stye face mill which has a max depth of cut of 0.137" and leaves a 45° shoulder. For that face mill, you'll want the octagan style inserts - one specific to aluminum, and a different one for steel.

The same will be true of ANY face mill - you will want different inserts depending on what material you're machining.

Hope this helps.

Back