Small tap holders

an, is this a sore subject with me... I have to go take some pics of the boneyard from my long-running search for a tap handle that just works without wobbling, coming loose, or breaking. I will be watching this space.
I made a copy of the Joe Pi's tap wrench for use with small taps, I find it gives good feel with small taps.
Yes, it's (superficially) expensive: http://northernmachininginc.com/?page_id=21 . This replaces (at least) 3 Starrett wrenches, and is better quality. I have used it from #2-56 to 1/2"-13. This is the tap handle that just works... No affiliation aside from being a delighted customer. I mentioned this in another post recently, and don't want to seem like a shill for the brand (again, no affiliation - I paid full price for mine), but this is so much better than anything else that I've found that I can't help but recommend it. (For the record, I own the full series of Starrett T-handles, and most (all?) of their wrenches. This replaces all the T-handles and everything else except the very large sizes.

GsT

the el-cheapo tapping stand,, chuck, shaft and knob from micromark,, the nice thing with a drill type chuck is that the tap will slip before it breaks unless you have really really tightened the chuck,, many many small holes tapped with nothing broken..

Attachments

• ab1.JPG
    ab1.JPG
    275.1 KB · Views: 17
Thanks everyone, I like the Joe Pie one. Looks like a nice little project I can fit in between everything else.

Man, is this a sore subject with me... I have to go take some pics of the boneyard from my long-running search for a tap handle that just works without wobbling, coming loose, or breaking. I will be watching this space.
I got so tired of “wobbling, coming loose, or breaking”, I own the Starrett 91A, B and C. Case closed.
I also have Starret’s small tap handles/drivers. You just can’t beat them.
I broke my Irwin, it just came apart.
Don’t tell my wife I spent over $200 for tap handles.

I went ahead and ordered one of the units that @Ischgl99 recommended from McMaster-Carr also. I will still make the Joe Pie one. Thanks for all the help.

I got so tired of “wobbling, coming loose, or breaking”, I own the Starrett 91A, B and C. Case closed.
I also have Starret’s small tap handles/drivers. You just can’t beat them.
I broke my Irwin, it just came apart.
Don’t tell my wife I spent over $200 for tap handles.

I love my Starrett tap wrenches. I have the 91B, 91C, 91D, 93A, 93B wrenches. I also have the General No 166 over the 93C based on some reviews.

Since I posted about wanting to make a tap handle like the one This Old Tony's video, and it looked like a pretty simple project, I got going on one. I made some minor changes (the hex bar handles most obviously), but it is basically closely inspired by TOT's version.

This is still a work in progress, as the "jaws" need some finishing touches, and I plan to add "V" s to the opposite sides of them, but it is functional, and works WAY better than the cheap ones I have....
IMG_20230211_150351179.jpg
I'm feeling a touch under the weather today, so probably won't get back out in the shop to finish this today...maybe tomorrow. I'll post again when it is finished.

=Pete

Since I posted about wanting to make a tap handle like the one This Old Tony's video, and it looked like a pretty simple project, I got going on one. I made some minor changes (the hex bar handles most obviously), but it is basically closely inspired by TOT's version.

This is still a work in progress, as the "jaws" need some finishing touches, and I plan to add "V" s to the opposite sides of them, but it is functional, and works WAY better than the cheap ones I have....

Very nice!
So where can we all place orders? ;)

Brian

Back