Small tap holders

Just for fun

Tim Young
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
So, my old tap holder for the small taps is junk. I don't need a $60 Starrett, my local hardware store has an Irwin for $4 bucks (That looks better than the one I have) I'm thinking something in between. Maybe this one from McMaster? https://www.mcmaster.com/tap-holders/t-handle-tap-wrenches-8/

Machine Shop discount tools has this one, but probably no better than the Irwin. https://www.msdiscounttool.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=3381&products_id=103666

Anything else I should be looking at?

I have the machine mount wrench towards the bottom of the McMaster page you reference and am very happy with it. It has a hole in the top that I can use for my spring loaded tap follower, or you can put the guide in your chuck to guide it. There isn’t a brand on it, so don’t know who makes it, but better quality than what I have bought from the hardware store.

There is always the option of making your own. I have an old US made craftsman tap wrench for small taps that is OK, but the larger tap wrenches I have a crap. I'm planning to make one like Tony makes in this video. Joe Pi has a video on making a small tap wrench that I'll likely copy as well.

I really like the design of the one Tony copies. Seems like a very simple elegant design to me....

-Pete

Man, is this a sore subject with me... I have to go take some pics of the boneyard from my long-running search for a tap handle that just works without wobbling, coming loose, or breaking. I will be watching this space.

Make one. Here's a post I did recently on another thread. Based on a Joe Pi video - same one Paradox-Pete refers to in Post #6 above. VERY easy to make (less than a couple of hours) and works great with small taps.

Regards

Whatever brand you choose, be sure to get a piloted spindle tapper. Useful on both lathe and mill, with or without the pilot.

1675789450975.png

Mine are Walton brand, I bought them in the 80s and they're very well made.
I will admit that they get a lot less use since I made this. With thanks to @Charles scozzari

20220911_173517.jpg

Last edited:
Back