Small tap holders

Looks great Pete, Thanks for sharing. What is the length of it from handle to handle?

I hope you feel better tomorrow, looking forward to the finished product.

I went ahead and ordered one of the units that @Ischgl99 recommended from McMaster-Carr also. I will still make the Joe Pie one. Thanks for all the help.

I have the General T-handle type in two versions - ratcheting and non-ratcheting. If you're working on the mill, and using a tap follower to guide the vertical orientation of the hand tap, those T-handled units eat up a LOT of Z-height.

I prefer this type in that application:

Northern-Machining-Tap-Wrench-with-Tap.jpg

Available here:

Whatever brand you choose, be sure to get a piloted spindle tapper. Useful on both lathe and mill, with or without the pilot.

View attachment 436568

Mine are Walton brand, I bought them in the 80s and they're very well made.
I will admit that they get a lot less use since I made this. With thanks to @Charles scozzari

View attachment 436569
Hi, thanks very much for the credit. I would just like to add that when I use bits that are smaller then the capacity of my larger chuck I use a smaller chuck on a stem that I lock into my large chuck to allow me to use the tiny bits. Thanks again Mr.Whoopee.B2A93EA7-45D8-4E6E-8174-CF5161C03ED7.jpegA95A2225-5804-4908-814A-F427BFC29231.jpeg9CB0A3FE-7D8E-43DF-9D7A-6C90C94D5F3B.jpeg

Man, is this a sore subject with me... I have to go take some pics of the boneyard from my long-running search for a tap handle that just works without wobbling, coming loose, or breaking. I will be watching this space.
Go with the Starrett or General, they are hardened 2 jaw style. I always had trouble with the 4 jaw style. You won't be sorry.

Back