Small Sanford surface grinder

I

I think your experience is the exception rather than the rule. I paid less than $700.00 for my Sanford MG. It didn't need any repairs, or even a cleanup. It came with a chuck, a wheel hub, and half a dozen assorted wheels. I think the key to determining the condition of a machine is to be able to run it as part of the inspection process. Many of the defects you found after getting it home would have been revealed had you been able to run it before purchasing it.

Here's a couple pictures of the machine as it looked when installed in the shop. The previous owner had it clean, wired in, and ready for inspection

I agree. In my case, I was expecting a project machine for the $150 I paid. It had a 6 x 12 Eclipse magnet on it that was worth at least that much. It has a Bijur one shot oiler on it also. Even though it was stored in cold storage and has suffered, it is still usable for small jobs in it's current condition.

In this neck of the woods, you can usually find a good used working machine in $500 - $1000 range. At HGR perhaps less than that. So I still think $2500 is outrageous for a baby surface grinder.

Best Regards,
Bob

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input.
I am going to wait and see if that price comes down.
only been on EBay a couple of days.

Looks like a Sanford SG-48. If you ask someone in the know! They will tell you it’s highly sought after!!! The one mentioned in this thread and from looking at the pic does not look completely original and will hurt $.

Last edited:
Yes, seller said it is a sg-48. Does not have original motor. Works well, runs smoothly.
comes with 6-8 extra white wheels that fit.
Comes on a stand, not a cabinet.
So how much is a SG-48 worth ?
Thanks

I paid $150 for mine and put about another $100 into it for a belt and pulleys and to get the motor checked out. It has been a good little benchtop machine.

Here's a listing for a Sanford MG grinder at less than half the asking price for the SG. It's advertised as a 5" x 10" machine. It's actually a 6" x 12" machine with a 5" x 10" magnetic chuck installed. This one has a 1/2 hp 3 phase motor. It can be run as it sits with either a VFD or phase converter. Or you can switch it out for a single phase motor. Motors were optional on these machines. Mine came with a Hoover 1/2 hp 110/220 volt single phase motor. Mine runs fine and can produce mirror finishes.

It's just my opinion, but I think this size machine is far more versatile and cost effective.

Well, I checked yesterday and the listing for the
Sanford surface grinder is gone.

Back