Small cannon castings for machine project other castings

You could try these guys, or at least look and drool….
No affiliation nor experience with them, just came up on a search for “six-inch cannon kits”.

A long time ago, maybe in my 20's, I bought a small cannon from DGW. The barrel is about 9-11" long, think it was 0.50 caliber. I was far too poor to spend real money on it. Nowadays, it seems their offerings are quite a bit more expensive. Now you have me thinking, I need to find it. Guess that will be a task for tomorrow!

A long time ago, maybe in my 20's, I bought a small cannon from DGW. The barrel is about 9-11" long, think it was 0.50 caliber. I was far too poor to spend real money on it. Nowadays, it seems their offerings are quite a bit more expensive. Now you have me thinking, I need to find it. Guess that will be a task for tomorrow!
Back in the Catalog days every fall (late August) we got Bass Pro and Cabela. We would order the cheapest black powder pistol/rifle kits and sometimes they had cannons. They where very cheap
Income to cost ratio. We would shoot them all winter until something broke.
Then buy some more.

I bought this one at a yard sale maybe 25 years ago . You can see how far that project got . :grin: Do you have your plans or winging it Mac ? I have a boat load of wood here also and have to download the herd .

Back in the Catalog days every fall (late August) we got Bass Pro and Cabela. We would order the cheapest black powder pistol/rifle kits and sometimes they had cannons. They where very cheap
Income to cost ratio. We would shoot them all winter until something broke.
Then buy some more.
Yes, I remember that the cannon was relatively cheap, which was why I bought it. You have stirred my interest in finding mine. It should be tucked away in my garage, I think. Or at least that's the last place I remember seeing it.

@mmcmdl what are you laughing about? You're not the only one with an overstuffed garage :grin:
Maybe it will surface, maybe not.:)

Sometimes miracles do happen! Went into the garage and went to where I remembered where this mythical little cannon might be. It's kind of a crude, sorry looking thing, and needs some love, but here it is:
PXL_20240102_144418632.jpg
Kind of glad my grandson didn't see this. It's a bit heavy for him to play with. Basically, all cast iron, even the crude wheels, about a 9" barrel, 10" overall length, 50 cal. Nice shape to the barrel. At some point, I need to clean this up (without ruining it).

Sometimes miracles do happen!
I just had to run down to the other house because the heater didn't kick on . I went thru the HF roll arounds while there . No miracles here , that's fer sure ! :grin:

Sometimes miracles do happen! Went into the garage and went to where I remembered where this mythical little cannon might be. It's kind of a crude, sorry looking thing, and needs some love, but here it is:
View attachment 472955
Kind of glad my grandson didn't see this. It's a bit heavy for him to play with. Basically, all cast iron, even the crude wheels, about a 9" barrel, 10" overall length, 50 cal. Nice shape to the barrel. At some point, I need to clean this up (without ruining it).
Yup , back in the 80s camping up in NH ME gift shops had them too, often looking like that all cast.
Where they cheap
I will say With the income vs cost ratio they where much more affordable then vs now.
Simple dish soap and water if it has some tight rust you can boil it in distilled water and lightly card off the loose stuff then drop it in dark cutting oil over night. Wipe it off and its good for another 100 years.

Back