Small cannon castings for machine project other castings

mac1911

Registered
Registered
Is there any where you can pick up castings for small projects.
I would like to make a small cannon 6” long.

Joe Pie made a canon from solid stock. I suspect not many places that cast are willing to take the risks of canon barrels.

IDKW i was think but I was thinking cast might be cheaper than buying bar stock. Heck buying stock might be more than just buying one made , lol

You could try these guys, or at least look and drool….
No affiliation nor experience with them, just came up on a search for “six-inch cannon kits”.

You didn't say what material you want to build your cannon barrel from, but I wouldn't think that the raw material for a cannon barrel that size would be too expensive. You may even look into starting with some heavy wall tubing. I use to have some 1 1/4" OD x .500 ID heavy wall, seamless, 4130 tube that probably would have made great cannon barrels.
I have been working on a 1/5th scale Model 1841 12 pounder Civil War cannon for a couple of years off and on. I used stainless steel round stock for my barrel just because I had it on hand and it was an appropriate size for what I wanted to build.

Ted

You didn't say what material you want to build your cannon barrel from, but I wouldn't think that the raw material for a cannon barrel that size would be too expensive. You may even look into starting with some heavy wall tubing. I use to have some 1 1/4" OD x .500 ID heavy wall, seamless, 4130 tube that probably would have made great cannon barrels.
I have been working on a 1/5th scale Model 1841 12 pounder Civil War cannon for a couple of years off and on. I used stainless steel round stock for my barrel just because I had it on hand and it was an appropriate size for what I wanted to build.

Ted
Its a project I would like to tinker with.
Go along with my 32 cal single shot derringer.

Back