Slowing down the Drill Press

Good post: video, parts, & brand description. The motor recommendation will help new buyers. A ton of motors on ebay. How about the board you used? Are the MC-60 boards all the same? Lots of them on flea bay too.

I have now made 5 different treadmill conversions using MC-60 controllers which I got from ebay and try not to spend more than $25. They have all worked without any trouble.

try to find a working 3phase motor, mount it to the drill press, power it with a vfd..

Another inexpensive way is by adding a couple pulleys and jackshaft.

like this
[video=youtube_share;Y9uDh9mxeCg]http://youtu.be/Y9uDh9mxeCg[/video]

yeah, there is nothing wrong with that Idea, (the 3 phase and a VFD) I did it to my wood lathe, love it.
But the motor and VFD i brought together, cost me around 2 bills.
I always say, like bvd1940 said, (1st off, I am cheap too, cheap and poor, lol)
But I always say, the cheaper I can put something together for, the more fun it is.
Putting my Delta wood cutting bandsaw together, $7.00 for the "1 HP" motor, (I think the guy was mis-informed, I think it's closer to 1/2 HP) Dollar for the large dis pulley for the B-S shaft, cut me own key way. Made my own Guard out of wood, (delta did too years ago) anyways, More cheaper more fun.

anyways, I can get a tread mill motor for free, I have to pick it up after Christmas,
and the controller on e bay for about $35.00.
Its a tread mill controller.

I have now made 5 different treadmill conversions using MC-60 controllers which I got from ebay and try not to spend more than $25. They have all worked without any trouble.

maybe you could help me with the hook up's if I need it.
I still have to get everything.
I was gonna do it to my Logan lathe, but the craftsman 150 DP is getting it first.
Those belts are a pain to change.

It's very easy to hook up. Let me know if you need any help.

Matt

Ok, help, I am 2 or 3 days searching on line, not really finding anything l would call simple.
I am supposed to get the motor tomorrow,
And I was looking at a MC-60 control board on e bay for $35.00.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111467557590?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
The guy said he is a tread mill tech,
But I don't understand.
Looks like I need a separate power supply?
What kind of power supply do I need, or is it built into the MC-60 control board?
I know I need a Radio Shack 271-1715 Pot,
And I understand if I put a on off switch in the Center wiper wire, I can stop and start at the speed I had when I shut it off.
But I don't know what else I need, or what else I have to hook up.
Thanks,
Tony

Get that MC-60 controller from ebay and the POT and a DPDT switch from RS.
Here are the connections:
mc-60.jpg

The power supply is included in the MC-60.
You could also add a power switch to the AC power cord (not included in diagram) depending on intended use.

mc-60.jpg

OK, That helps, Thank You.
What about putting a switch in the center wire of the pot?
Do I need to do that to allow me to restart at the speed I shut it off at?

OK, That helps, Thank You.
What about putting a switch in the center wire of the pot?
Do I need to do that to allow me to restart at the speed I shut it off at?

I've eliminated the soft-start feature on a handful of MC-60 boards, just by clipping (removing) the resistor labeled RPS3. No other mods were required in my situation and I keep all three wires connected to the pot.

Back