Slowing down the Drill Press

burnrider

Active User
Registered
110v / AC

Currently running drill speed on the slowest belt setting of 260 RPM. Is there an electric speed control I can use to reduce speed for chucking reamer use? I mean w/o smoking the Baldor motor

Tx

Do like I am doing and rip the motor off and replace with a treadmill motor with a DC motor controller with a reversing switch the it covers all the basses.
Then you can tap with it also as it is able to do just creep speed with lots of torque.
You can find tread mills for free on occasion on CL and the controller will work fine , all you need to do is put the control in a box and add a reversing switch.
Works fer me:drool:

Bill,
Are the treadmill motors capable of powering up for 3/4" drilling in steel if necessary? They do look small.

I found a how-to for lathe conversion. He used the tooth type belt. It would be nice to keep the 4 step pulley.

http://www.cnccookbook.com/MTLatheDCMotor.htm

$(KGrHqJHJ!wE9qgSbFDtBPmFZYccmQ~~60_12.JPG

I'm sure I can build a cylindrical clamp system welded to a base plate. Looks like the flywheel comes off as well. I'm just not sure about the motor. Looks like a sewing machine motor on steroids, not fit to punch through leather.

Then there's the board. Anything special to look for. Some claim to fit 'many treadmills'.

It would be a sweet item to have on the drill press. Buy the Whiz bang RPM reader and dial it in for best cutting or hole reaming, damn!!

$(KGrHqJHJCwE7zTKdhH,BPDwd)W+Tg~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqJHJ!wE9qgSbFDtBPmFZYccmQ~~60_12.JPG $(KGrHqJHJCwE7zTKdhH,BPDwd)W+Tg~~60_57.JPG

try to find a working 3phase motor, mount it to the drill press, power it with a vfd..

Another inexpensive way is by adding a couple pulleys and jackshaft.

like this
[video=youtube_share;Y9uDh9mxeCg]http://youtu.be/Y9uDh9mxeCg[/video]

That treadmill mtr will surprise you on power;)
You wont need the step pulley with the vari speed controller, the timing belt would be just that more positive no slip drive.;) (future update)
I just got mine lashed up & took it for today and am happy as a clam. I plan on up to 1" drilling and for larger holes I will use the mill & boring head :drool:
The VFD option is a good set up but the cost will be more & I am a cheapskate.:biggrin:
Just my 2cents worth

I may be looking into that Bill. I saw the Icon motors and several boards advertised for the Icon treadmill. Same type of application. I would be looking for speed control (gotta figure out which pot to buy), reverse capability and the timing belt tooth belt with pulleys. I'm guessing the local bearing shop would be a good place to start looking, maybe even Mcmaster on-line.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#timing-belt-pulleys/=hiwk0u Yeah they do. L & H series has the quick disconnect bushing for custom fitting.

Thanks to Brucer & Bill.
Dirt biking is #1 with the short dry season, but I will start scouting parts.

Last edited:
Bill,

One last note, did you retain the flywheel for added torque and smooth power, or remove it entirely?

My mtr did not come with fly wheel and it seem,s to work pretty good with the step pulley that came with the drill press.;)
If your going to convert to DC mtr you can do it in stages.:drool:

This is a bit of a hack but what I did when I found my 5 speed drill press would not go slow enough for hole saws was to mount a second motor beside the existing motor and outside the belt guard. When I want slow speed I open the top of the belt guard and run a belt from the second motor to the top pully on the motor and use the remaining 4 pulley sizes for the belt to the spindle. The second motor is a half horse off a washing machine so it is two speed as well. A short summary might be that I use the original motor as the jack shaft and pulley. It all works fine and seems to have plenty of torque for running hole saws drilling steel. As I said, it is a bit of a hack but it was free. If I had it to do over, and had the money, I would probably go the 3 phase / inverter route. I have a 1.5 horse on my lathe and love it.

Brian

Back