Slitting Saw Blade

Keep in mind material spring from internal stresses. Sometimes (especially in steel) it can tend to spring open at the slot.

You edited my response? Yes, I am very aware of slitting saws that have a tapered relief towards the center hole. That is why I said “design”. You cannot put a 1/2“ shaft into a 1/2“ hole (maybe with a hammer:encourage:). You need some clearance. Same story/theory applies to the slitting saw making its slot. The clearance could be in the tenth’s, but is still added to the nominal dimension…Dave
I like to trim the OP's post to just the part I am replying to, for the benefit of other readers, especially when the post was long. When I trim a quote I am replying to I add a (snip) at the beginning of the relevant part of the quote and a (snip) at the end so everyone knows there was more to the OP's post. I think (and hope) that is sufficient to respect the OP while making my entire post including quoted text more readable and understandable. I do try to be careful to quote all material relevant to my post. What do you think, Dave (and others)?

I like to trim the OP's post to just the part I am replying to, for the benefit of other readers, especially when the post was long. When I trim a quote I am replying to I add a (snip) at the beginning of the relevant part of the quote and a (snip) at the end so everyone knows there was more to the OP's post. I think (and hope) that is sufficient to respect the OP while making my entire post including quoted text more readable and understandable. I do try to be careful to quote all material relevant to my post. What do you think, Dave (and others)?
I have done this also, especially when there's one specific question or point to which I'm responding. I've used ellipses but I like your convention of using the words "snip" at whichever end was edited better.
And, one time I did it a person got pretty upset about it because he felt it altered his intended meaning. I've been much more careful since.

Steve Shannon

Through the years of machining I have found that most slitting saws will cut within .001 - .002 of size depending on material to be cut, speeds, feeds, coolant and rigidity of machine and setup. Also how sharp the slitting saw is. The thinner the blade the sharper it has to be to avoid wandering. Most times when a slitting saw is required the tolerances are wide enough so as not to worry.

Through the years of machining I have found that most slitting saws will cut within .001 - .002 of size depending on material to be cut, speeds, feeds, coolant and rigidity of machine and setup. Also how sharp the slitting saw is. The thinner the blade the sharper it has to be to avoid wandering. Most times when a slitting saw is required the tolerances are wide enough so as not to worry.
Yes on the wandering with thinner blades. I have even gone to the extent of making fixtures that hold the part and also support/guide both sides of the slitting saw blade while making the cut.

I have done this also, especially when there's one specific question or point to which I'm responding. I've used ellipses but I like your convention of using the words "snip" at whichever end was edited better.
And, one time I did it a person got pretty upset about it because he felt it altered his intended meaning. I've been much more careful since.

Steve Shannon

Tender hearts,brusied egos,:(

Been looking at Slitting Saw Blades which I have never used before. Part calls for 0.063 wide slot. If using a 0.063 wide Slitting Saw Blade what will be the finished slot width. Guess what am asking what type of tolerance will I be looking at?

.063 will be the slot thickness. Slitting saw lades have no set and cut to the stated width. You can double up on these blades for oddball thicknesses. Example, .063 + ..032 = .095
Dull blades can be sharpened. Use a chainsaw file or better yet a Dremel tool with a cylindrical stone made for chainsaws.
File straight across with no bevel, similar to a rip saw.
mike

Back