Slitting Saw Blade

Redbird

Registered
Registered
Been looking at Slitting Saw Blades which I have never used before. Part calls for 0.063 wide slot. If using a 0.063 wide Slitting Saw Blade what will be the finished slot width. Guess what am asking what type of tolerance will I be looking at?

my "guess" would be .063 would be the size of the cut since the blades dont have rake like a wood blade but i will defer to someone whos actually used one.

I was just using a 1/32" blade and got a .031" slot. I expect a 1/16" blade will come in between .062 and .063" if your cut is steady and doesn't force the blade to deflect.

I agree with dave not to force the blade. I was told to go slow and use lots of oil. Heat is your worst enemy. The thin blade will warp and never cut straight again. I seen this on a skill saw.
Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I use smaller jeweller slitting saws 1" in diameter with thickness down to around 0.008". I am sort of embarrassed that I have never checked the accuracy of a single blade since I usually stack them to get the width of cut I need and make a practice cut and adjust accordingly.

David

If you used a 0.063 wide blade (actual) it cannot cut a 0.063 slot. The blade needs clearance in order to work. Not much clearance, but enough so there will be no binding. The quality of the blade, its sharpness and design all play a big role in the finished slot. It is best to make a test cut first. Also when doing very thin slots <0.015” thick you might try and climb cut the blade instead of conventional. This is against the practice of using a cutter in a milling operation. But it has shown to make a straighter cut. Your milling machine MUST be of adequate size, rigidity and minimal backlash for this task or don’t try it!..Dave

Last edited:
If you used a 0.063 wide blade (actual) it cannot cut a 0.063 slot. The blade needs clearance in order to work.

Good quality slitting saws have the clearance built in, the faces are slightly concave - well, all my English ones are, dunno about far eastern! The ones I have cut the size they claim pretty consistently. Slow, lots of lube,

Dave H. (the other one)

Slitting saws do not do well when using too slow a feed. They need to cut, not rub on the work. That said, they also must not fill the gullets of the teeth full of chips before the teeth clear the work or they will often jam and break. If there is a place for always calculating speeds and feeds, slitting saws is it! You are often spinning a fragile saw with a large diameter, and relatively poorly supported at the arbor. Speeds need to be slow enough for the diameter. Feeds must be a compromise between getting a good chip and not filling the gullets of the teeth. It is usually not a good idea to baby the cut at the beginning and it is usually a good idea to cut to full depth in one pass for better support of the blade in the cut. Use plenty of oil/coolant/air. Quite honestly, when I am considering a slitting saw cut, I often reach for a hacksaw after figuring the trade-offs. I haven't broken one (yet!).

Good quality slitting saws have the clearance built in, the faces are slightly concave - well, all my English ones are, dunno about far eastern! The ones I have cut the size they claim pretty consistently. Slow, lots of lube,

Dave H. (the other one)
You edited my response? Yes, I am very aware of slitting saws that have a tapered relief towards the center hole. That is why I said “design”. You cannot put a 1/2“ shaft into a 1/2“ hole (maybe with a hammer:encourage:). You need some clearance. Same story/theory applies to the slitting saw making its slot. The clearance could be in the tenth’s, but is still added to the nominal dimension…Dave

Last edited:
Been looking at Slitting Saw Blades which I have never used before. Part calls for 0.063 wide slot. If using a 0.063 wide Slitting Saw Blade what will be the finished slot width. Guess what am asking what type of tolerance will I be looking at?
This would depend on the accuracy of the machine and the arbor holding the saw would it not?

Back