Sleeving brake cylinders

That's a sweet ride. I can see why you would want to hang onto that. Too bad it got away
Glad to run into somebody about as crazy as I am for these old Dodges.
Thanks for the comments on pistons, the idea is to sleeve it back down to stanadard size so standard kits would fit. Most shops sleeve with brass or stainless steel. I can see issues with boring to 2 different sizes and then heating the cylinder and freezing the sleeves to get an interference fit and not getting everything lined up. I think stainless makes the most sense. Am I missing anything critical here?
Gord

Me again Gord, absoutly no problem with boring on a mill. But the only problem I see is, What you going
to do about the pistons and cup. Since Ive been on the planet pistons are sized in fractions, US
standards and do have a close tolerance so there is no blowby. So a- one inch bore- next 1 1/8 -1 1/4
and so on with no inbetweens. Suppose you could go metric, if so what about the if I remember
its a pin with a fork end. Not to ramble but i grew up with these and put your seatbelt on, being a
teen I turned a perfect 1933 Plymouth PD station wagon into a coupe. There is no such wagon,
I wrote to Chrysler still got the letter, no such thing. WPC archives no such thing. My guess somebody
local built it. Oh If I had I now I spoke with experts they said priceless. Chryslers first was a 33 Dodge
comm. chassis, Winchester or JT Canntel bodys. Dummest, Stupiest thing I ever did. You get stuck
I can bore and hone it for ya but its got to go to the next size for a kit. You ship Ill do it free just to
help I like those trucks, some guy in town with a sweet 46 Dodge canopy express floating around.
Dunne Rite Machine, 577 Somerset Ave, No. Dighton Mass 02764 774-406-1913
before and after the stupid idea

stainless seamless tube seems to be the easiest. . . not cheap to buy however. the stuff you need is probably as expensive as a new cyl would cost ya. i just went the same route for my hudson hornet only to find orig ones from wagner. . .

Thanks. I would agree, the thing is I am advised by some pretty reputable suppliers that one wheel cylinder is no longer in existence so just getting ready for a more involved fix than what I had hoped for.
Gord

stainless seamless tube seems to be the easiest. . . not cheap to buy however. the stuff you need is probably as expensive as a new cyl would cost ya. i just went the same route for my hudson hornet only to find orig ones from wagner. . .

Back