Sleeving brake cylinders

Coldspot

Active User
Registered
I have a mid 40's Dodge truck actually more than 1 and I am on strict orders not to buy any more.
i wonder if she will believe me when I tell her some one gave it to me .

Anyway these trucks have unique brake cylinders (to me at least). They have stepped cylinders ie different diameters for each side. Some of these are now impossible to find so I am looking to refurbish what I have. Google being my friend I did a search and found a thread on another machining forum which pretty much confused me. So some questions
1 is this something a newbie should even consider trying
2 would you hone or use a boring bar to upsize the bores for the sleeves
3 would you do this on a mill or a lathe

Thanks
Gord

I have a mid 40's Dodge truck actually more than 1 and I am on strict orders not to buy any more.
i wonder if she will believe me when I tell her some one gave it to me .

Anyway these trucks have unique brake cylinders (to me at least). They have stepped cylinders ie different diameters for each side. Some of these are now impossible to find so I am looking to refurbish what I have. Google being my friend I did a search and found a thread on another machining forum which pretty much confused me. So some questions
1 is this something a newbie should even consider trying
2 would you hone or use a boring bar to upsize the bores for the sleeves
3 would you do this on a mill or a lathe

Thanks
Gord
Hi Gord, I have a 1972 VW Thing, I think you called it, same story with front brake cylinders being bigger. I rebored with a wire, a peace of 250 grit sand paper and a dremmel. Bend the wire's tip 180 and place a strip of sand paper to emulate flapper, stick it in the cylinder by making an "S" and run back and fwd. If you double side the sand paper is better. if is not clear, tell me and I post a picture.
Regards

Hi, I think you forgot to mention what size Dodge truck. There really is nothing exotic about wheel
cylinders with different bores. If I remember they should be Wagnor/Lockheed and this stuff can be
found online. Plymouth & Dodge trucks are the same including passenger vehicals. With a little
research I know you will find them. Keep in mind that the mfg.s Chrysler Ford etc do not make these
they are a vendor product. You might find International Studebaker use the same. I had the same
problem with a Trojan Loader master cyl. Mention Trojan loader at the parts store, youre done. So I
did a lot of research, the cyl. is a Wagnor- guess what, F800 Ford truck identical 60 bucks at Napa.
As far as the question, It can be bored on a mill, or you could get away be honing if not too bad.
There are a lot of places to resleeve them with stainless. I cant remember the name, this guys in
Boston Mass and only sells Plymouth/Dodge pickup parts I think 1939 to 1947. Advertizes in Hemming
Motor News.

Thanks
these are beyond honing so looking to replace or sleeve.
Gord

QUOTE=Syaminab;98411]Hi Gord, I have a 1972 VW Thing, I think you called it, same story with front brake cylinders being bigger. I rebored with a wire, a peace of 250 grit sand paper and a dremmel. Bend the wire's tip 180 and place a strip of sand paper to emulate flapper, stick it in the cylinder by making an "S" and run back and fwd. If you double side the sand paper is better. if is not clear, tell me and I post a picture.
Regards[/QUOTE]

Hi, I think you forgot to mention what size Dodge truck.

Thanks
39 td 20 , 45 FLS-6, 46DD4 and a 47 DD 2 plus a couple more parts vehicles.

As far as the question, It can be bored on a mill, or you could get away be honing if not too bad.

Thanks any thing special that I should think about before trying to bore it on my mill?

There are a lot of places to resleeve them with stainless. I cant remember the name, this guys in
Boston Mass and only sells Plymouth/Dodge pickup parts I think 1939 to 1947. Advertizes in Hemming
Motor News.

I know about these folks but really if I have a mill and some time why shouldn't I give it a shot.
Just trying to learn how at this stage.
Gord

Me again Gord, absoutly no problem with boring on a mill. But the only problem I see is, What you going
to do about the pistons and cup. Since Ive been on the planet pistons are sized in fractions, US
standards and do have a close tolerance so there is no blowby. So a- one inch bore- next 1 1/8 -1 1/4
and so on with no inbetweens. Suppose you could go metric, if so what about the if I remember
its a pin with a fork end. Not to ramble but i grew up with these and put your seatbelt on, being a
teen I turned a perfect 1933 Plymouth PD station wagon into a coupe. There is no such wagon,
I wrote to Chrysler still got the letter, no such thing. WPC archives no such thing. My guess somebody
local built it. Oh If I had I now I spoke with experts they said priceless. Chryslers first was a 33 Dodge
comm. chassis, Winchester or JT Canntel bodys. Dummest, Stupiest thing I ever did. You get stuck
I can bore and hone it for ya but its got to go to the next size for a kit. You ship Ill do it free just to
help I like those trucks, some guy in town with a sweet 46 Dodge canopy express floating around.
Dunne Rite Machine, 577 Somerset Ave, No. Dighton Mass 02764 774-406-1913
before and after the stupid idea

33 pd.JPG station wagons.jpg Atlantic station.jpg

Back