Slatwall vs Pegboard

Wow, I aspirated the drool when I saw the price tag! Nice look but I'm more of a low rent, find someplace going out of biz and get a deal kinda guy......

Thanks everyone for your replies. It seems I need to give slatwall a serious look (and try) but the pricetag for the metal ones - which are the ones I'm drooling over - is really off-putting. I need to convince myself (and the wife) that this is the kind of stuff that increases the value of the house when installed in a garage. Once it becomes "home improvement" the price tag is more digestible.

I really like the look of the slat wall, but if you can get quality commercial grade pegboard hardware it is nothing like the cheap crud you find in most home improvement stores. I worked in a hardware store when I was in college and the pegboard hardware they used for display was at least twice the diameter of the home owner stuff. It had to be, you aren't going to hang a dozen hammers off of those flimsy wire hangers and 1/8" particle board.

I really like the look of the slat wall, but if you can get quality commercial grade pegboard hardware it is nothing like the cheap crud you find in most home improvement stores. I worked in a hardware store when I was in college and the pegboard hardware they used for display was at least twice the diameter of the home owner stuff. It had to be, you aren't going to hang a dozen hammers off of those flimsy wire hangers and 1/8" particle board.

My issue with pegboard is with its construction. Being basically particleboard and having to be thin enough make it so the hooks can get through it. Its just is not a great design IMHO. And making a slatwall out of particleboard is just a cheap short term solution in my situation. My cheap DIY self wants to know what would be the price differential between finding some suitable pine boards and dado the top edge and screw it to the wall studs, and say the composite PVC slats? Since its a shop thing and I'm more utilitarian I don't need the whole wall say below 33", and being vertically challenged, not over say 6'. Just sayin'.

My cheap DIY self wants to know what would be the price differential between finding some suitable pine boards and dado the top edge and screw it to the wall studs, and say the composite PVC slats?

I like that idea, though you need to bevel top and bottom of the slats to use standard hooks.

You could buy a sheet of 1/2" plywood and rip slats out of the sheet. Paint them before you hang them.

Back