Slatwall vs Pegboard

cmantunes

Registered
Registered
Happy New Year, Everyone!

I've always used pegboard but slatwall intrigues me. As I've never seen anyone use it in a garage/hobby shop, I'm coming here for the board's collective wisdom on the pros and the cons, and how slatwall compares to pegboard in terms of usability in the shop environment.

Thanks!

Carlos

I have 50' of 4'x4' steel slat wall in my shop. Bought it cheap from a store that was closing. Factory painted gloss white. It's really easy to make shelves for too. The only photo I have access to at the moment is one I took to see the difference between the new LED fixtures on the right vs. the florescent on the left.

20161017_105606.jpg

Last edited:
I bought 7 and 1/2, 4x8 sheets of this press board with t-slots in it from Habitat for Humanity Restore. I bought a bunch of t-nuts and bolts from Zoro. I can attach the t-nuts and bolts to my hooks, cabinet or shelves and then slide it in to the slots. I had never seen anything like this before but when I did, I had to have it. The first picture was just using cheap peg board hooks in the slots. Not real secure but they helped me organize things until I found the t-nuts and bolts.

DSCN0645.JPG

DSCN0639.JPG

The cheap, small gauge pegs/hooks they sell today are miserable! I bought 20 lbs of pegs from a store that was closing several years ago and they work MUCH better! The heavier rod/wire they are made of fills the holes better and they all have second tabs so each hook is secured in at least two holes. These old school pegs stay put for me. Harbor Freight pegs?.... don't bother!!!!

Steel slat wall??????? I am VERY jealous!

The cheap, small gauge pegs/hooks they sell today are miserable! I bought 20 lbs of pegs from a store that was closing several years ago and they work MUCH better! The heavier rod/wire they are made of fills the holes better and they all have second tabs so each hook is secured in at least two holes. These old school pegs stay put for me. Harbor Freight pegs?.... don't bother!!!!
Mike,
Those cheapo hooks are probably what my Dad had that gave me the distaste for pegboard in the first place.
Evan

There is a surplus outfit in downtown Dayton (Mendelsons Surplus) that has a whole store dedicated to recycled store displays. When a store goes out of business they will go in and strip the building down to the bare walls and sell it all in their store. Slatwall hooks are usually $1 each, slatwall baskets can run up to $5. Joann Fabrics closed their stores last winter and I bought a 4' long x 4' high double sided rolling slatwall shelf and a bunch of the wood composite slatwall panels (shelf $50, panels $10 each) for the wife's business. Shelf brackets were $1/pair and shelves were $2.

Tip of the day: Keep an eye open for store closings. The business leaving will let you have the walls for pennies on the dollar. The store coming into the space will rip it all out anyway.

Thanks for that link.
I have a pegboard wall in the garage that was there when we bought the house. Here on the coast all particle board swells and turn back to its composite sawdust. No Bueno por nada. Most of the vague ads for the new slatwall just says composite. So it's either particleboard or? I would be ok with PVC probably depending on cost. I first noticed the stuff on a local CL in the biz section and didn't know what I was looking at. So it seems like this isn't "all the same, no brainer". Same with the hardware.

Back