Single Point Threading on a PM-1030V?

Looks like I got the angle wrong. I’m just starting on this now. I will post a picture of the change that I made.

you might have got the "wrong 30" some lathes have zero as parallel with bed and some have zero as perpendicular.

:)

I have a PM1030V. Once you get the bushings sorted out (from the factory they need a little filing to smooth fit), I find that it takes about 5 minutes to switch gears. It took me a bit, but I found the manual had the best diagrams for gear changes, so I keep it handy. Other than realizing I really need the thread wires to know when I am done and that threading right to left works better for me than left to right in reverse on the backside, I have not had a problem. note, I am a rank novice of very limited experience.

So after owning my lathe for 7 weeks, I finally put a level on the bed (in many places, obtaining the same reading on the level). The machine is tilted down toward the tailstock side. I do not own a machinist's level yet.

A level placed on the cross slide shows it to be level front to back. It would appear that I need to shim under the tailstock side.

The picture showing not level is the reading that I get anywhere on the bed. The picture showing level is the cross slide.

IMG_7830.JPG
IMG_7833.JPG

Last edited:
I have a PM1030V. Once you get the bushings sorted out (from the factory they need a little filing to smooth fit), I find that it takes about 5 minutes to switch gears. It took me a bit, but I found the manual had the best diagrams for gear changes, so I keep it handy. Other than realizing I really need the thread wires to know when I am done and that threading right to left works better for me than left to right in reverse on the backside, I have not had a problem. note, I am a rank novice of very limited experience.

I am glad you told me that. I would have filed the gears.

I just bought Brown & Sharpe thread measuring wires because my Shars screw thread mike's ratcheting mechanism is very inconsistent, this right out of the box. I have consistency problems with all 12 of my Shars mikes. I don't have any problems with any of my 7 Starrett new & used mikes.

Last edited:
you might have got the "wrong 30" some lathes have zero as parallel with bed and some have zero as perpendicular.

:)
You are spot on. When I have it set up correctly for threading, the angle reading on the compound reads 60.

I'm 38 minutes late with this. Sorry.

Erik, I don't see a reference to it, but the threads shown above with the nut screwed on are WRONG. Your compound is set at 59º, not 29º. The degree quatrant may read 29, but the threads have the wrong profile.

You are spot on. When I have it set up correctly for threading, the angle reading on the compound reads 60.

It's a common thing , the best time to find you have done it is after fiddling about for ages trying to do a thread on a small part with little room especially if using a tailstock centre to suport it and then having to set it all up again :)

Stu

Regarding leveling.. It's not about what you see on a spirit level. It's about the twist in the bed. It doesn't have to be level to the world at all. Though it's a good idea for oil reservoirs and such. And to not have round stuff roll away. :)

Look up the two collar test. Do that and by adjusting the height of a couple of the mounts you should be able to dial it in. Then check tailstock alignment. I doubt a new lathe from PM has the headstock misaligned. It's possible, but I would check the mounting first.

I'm 38 minutes late with this. Sorry.

Erik, I don't see a reference to it, but the threads shown above with the nut screwed on are WRONG. Your compound is set at 59º, not 29º. The degree quatrant may read 29, but the threads have the wrong profile.
I will look at that now because I am just about to cut 9/16-20 male threads. I am aiming for 30 degrees.

I failed to successfully cut threads today. I chose to cut 1/2-20 because the hardware store did not have 9/16-20. I failed because I engaged the half nut lever a little too late (when I was nearly done, unfortunately). I tried to salvage the work, but to no avail.

My chosen RPM was 263, and obviously I couldn't keep up with that. From now on, I will choose a lower RPM.

I took a lot of pictures of this basic operation.

Here is a brand new 60 degree carbide insert:

IMG_7849.JPG

Last edited:
Back