Single Lip Cutter Grinder

Moderatemixed

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Good afternoon all..... Last summer I picked up an Alexander Single Lip/D Bit Cutter Grinder. It is the “Made in England” version of the famous Deckel. It has been sitting on my bench, unused since the day I brought it home and cleaned it up. I am trying to decide wether to get rid of it or keep and use it. I just watched a YouTube video that Stefan Gotteswinter made showing uses for it and I am leaning toward keeping it. That said, as a hobby guy, with very little and precious shop space, is this tool worth the “realestate”? I just received a rotary broach kit from Hemingway and apparently this grinder will sharpen the broaches, and will sharpen my end mills. Thoughts, suggestions, and comments welcomed. I only have $400 Canadian invested. I have it pictured below, the 3/4 hp motor is removed simply for space and mobility reasons. If I keep it I am contemplating replacing the AC motor with a DC motor. It was suggested to me that the DC motor will run smoother with less vibration. Any thought on the validity of that statement? Thanks as always. Derek. IMG_6180.jpgIMG_6181.jpgIMG_6182.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unless you need variable speed I would suggest keeping the AC motor, even if just to have the original components all there. Nice little machine!

Nice score! I'd love to have that, especially for the price you paid!

Looking at the pictures I cannot tell if the workhead is adjustable in the vertical plane to provide clearance for an end mill; a lot of machines like this do not, making them unusable for end mill sharpening, most are only for sharpening conical engraving points only, using eccentric relief.

It will do end mills.

I have two Gorton grinders, one will, the other will not.

What a great deal! I drove several hours and paid considerably more than that for an old Deckel. I keep a diamond wheel on mine and use it for making 1/8" carbide cutters and sharpening boring bars etc.

I respect that. I checked. Followed Stefan’s lead and instructions and my smaller diameter (and short) milling cutters will fit.... the others might as well, I just need to play with it more and I only have 5 of the collets for it.

What a great deal! I drove several hours and paid considerably more than that for an old Deckel. I keep a diamond wheel on mine and use it for making 1/8" carbide cutters and sharpening boring bars etc.

I was looking at putting the diamond wheel onto it. Or a CBT wheel. Do you use yours often enough to keep it?

I bought mine for a specific job that I don't do very often anymore, but when the time comes, I have the capability. Jump to about 2:20 here:

I have often thought about mounting a stone wheel on it but the diamond wheels are what I am used to. I started using Deckel SO grinders back in the early 80's when I ran two jig grinders for a company, jig milling contours on the dies that stamped out aluminum can lids. I had to make my own cutters out of 1/8" carbide blanks.

"Do you use yours often enough to keep it? "

If I was in your situation where space was a concern and wasn't really sure what I needed it for, I think I'd sell it for a tidy profit and put the money into something I was sure I needed and was more comfortable with. The guy buying it will probably find it useful for his specific purpose and you'll have doubled your money or better.

If you do decide to keep it make sure you install proper dust collection. A diamond wheel turns carbide into a very fine dust and it gets everywhere.

Back