"Silver solder" questions

Apparently, the term is discouraged. One should be saying "silver brazing" instead.
The aim is to get a very low electrical resistance joint ...
I understand that it melts at 650°C , which is 1202°F. That would be sort of reddish hot.
One hopes the butane can torch normally used for copper plumbing joints with tin/lead solder will get it there, but I can augment it with a butane gas ring if need be.

Silver braze won't like the relatively low butane flame temperature, and only small joints
get hot enough with propane. Acetylene-air, or propane-oxygen, should get large parts hot enough.

The flux we used with silver solder was called 'solder salts', and it works with jeweler-supply
silver braze supplies. I've used it on stainless, too.

For copper joining, an alloy called 'sil-fos' is said to require no flux, just the reducing flame of a
torch is enough to clean the surface. Alas, when I tried to buy some, I was asked 'how many pounds'...
so it was off to buy jewelry supplies for my project!

I like to use sil-fos if thermal conductivity is a criterion. It is inexpensive (the low silver content ones) and flows well without flux on copper. I use it to make custom interior inserts to use as backers for TIG welding. They will not melt, and hold the shape of internal features really well.

I like to use sil-fos if thermal conductivity is a criterion. It is inexpensive (the low silver content ones) and flows well without flux on copper. I use it to make custom interior inserts to use as backers for TIG welding. They will not melt, and hold the shape of internal features really well.
I expect I will be trying out all of these on some practice runs.
What is tricky here is about electrical conductivity, for which we need the best we can get.
Unfortunately, most good electrical conductors are also good heat conductors, which is what makes these operations difficult.

Sil-Fos, AKA "Easy-Flo" is interesting. It is a mix of copper and silver and phosphorus, patented in 1931, but the patent thrown open to all for wartime production. Joints brazed with SilFos can be stronger than the parent materials. While it was directly used in joints for airplanes, ships, etc. the biggest use was in fix-ups repairs. Busted gears, shafts, struts, almost anything could be put back to working state.

The way it works without flux, is the phosphorus reacts with the copper oxides to form phosphorus pentoxide which strips the surface clean. Of course, this effect only works on copper. There are several Sil-Fos mixes with a number ranging from 2 to about 15, this meaning the percentage of silver. One has to carefully select which, depending on the application. e.g Sil-Fos 15 has the lowest percentage of phosphorus at 5%, making it the most ductile, and much liked for refrigeration and air conditioning work.

Sil-Fos 18 has the highest silver content, so has the lowest melting point. I can bet that, like all stuff containing silver, it will be expensive. Small quantity use may well be best sought from jewelry suppliers.

I have to thank everybody for the sheer amount of good information.

StaySilv flux has worked well for me and contains both boric acid and fluorides so it wets the work easily.

Read on the label and be sure it is the one with fluorides as there are several different Harris products out there.

Back