Sick Of Lathe Change Gears, Made A Quick Cange Gear Box

And a merry Christmas to you sir!

Last edited:
wow, that is both beautiful AND amazingly functional! I'd love to see it in use. love the comment about the shasper too :)

Why is it that it's almost never just a case of doing the job you want to? I need to turn down my lead screw to hold the gear that will mesh with the output cone, so I spent the day working on a really sturdy boring bar holder... that will hold the ridiculously long boring bar I need to open up my spindle bore a hair, in order to fit the leadscrew inside it to machine it...
A well.. It will probably come in handy in other projects in the future.
Merry christmas guys!

Sounds like every one of my projects! :confused: ;)

Merry Christmas to you and yours,

-Ron

Beautiful work, I am looking forward to any more details you care to provide on it, maybe a video of it in operation once it is installed?

I'll think about the video part. I'm not that comfortable in front of a camera, but perhaps I will try to record something.
Pictures and descriptions I can promise.
My spindle bore is now enlarged to accept the leadscrew. It really was horrible before, not remotely concentric in the middle and heavy toolmarks and scoring. I suspect it's been either crudely enlarged by a previous owner or hastily drilled from either end at the factory. I suspect its been messed with as the MT4 taper is rather short.

There was a lot of chatter when I bored it, but surface finish matter little. At least it accepts 30mm stock now, and is concentric and centered.
DSC_0048.JPG

No need to be bashful in front of the camera. I don't think anyone wants to see you, just that beautiful work of art you built!

Really nice I think it's safe for me to say we would love to see it in action, however whatever you are comfortable sharing is appreciated

Back