Sick Of Lathe Change Gears, Made A Quick Cange Gear Box

Ugluk

Registered
Registered
DSC_0037.JPG Hello hobby machinists. I just (more or less) finished a project that I´ve tinkered with for well over a year now.

Limited by funds as the kids needs come first I´ve had to make do with learning on and gradually improving a rather antique lathe of unknown make and age. A pretty basic machine in a decent size with flat belt drive and change gears.
While it´s very versatile in that the set of change gears is complete enough to cut pretty much any existing thread it seems that as soon as I set it up for fine feed, I need to cut a thread and vice versa.

So I decided to build a quick change gear box that would cater to my needs of oddball threads as well as extremely fine feeds when needed.
It ended up with seven reductions in the first section and sixteen in the second giving me a range of 4-992 tpi or 5mm to 0,02mm, with a total of 33 gears I milled.

It just feels so good to finally have it finished and working I had to share.

DSC_0037.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, a thing of beauty, and you should have gear cutting down pat. Mike

I wish I had the expertise to cut gears and the tools it takes to do so. I may sign up at the local tec school. What you've got there is a piece of art!

Some people have too much time on their hands. I hope that at some point in the future I could make something as functional and beautiful. Tim

I'm seriously impressed. That is a very cool project and some nicely done work on it.

Thanks for sharing,

-Ron

Very nice work. That should make life much easer now.:beer mugs:

Very nice! Please post photos when you have it installed.

Bob

Welcome to the site!
Wow what an impressive build.

You have certainly lived up to your "Somewhat skilled and inventive hobbyist" statement in your introduction......aaahh, nope you surpassed it.
I hope you continue to contribute here!

Thanks for posting.
-brino

Back