Show me your DIY lathe chip guard

I like that, @slow-poke . I'd still use the motorcycle faceplate, but the magnetic base is a hassle at times.

Made from the side of a steel drum, is on my 20" Boye Emmes.
Not able to see through it, but when in the up position holds sketches of the parts really well.

Daryl
MN

Attachments

• 20230411_094106 (2).jpg
    20230411_094106 (2).jpg
    305 KB · Views: 17
When the tilt mechanism for my Face Shield disintegrated, I pulled the curved shield out of the frame to use as a chip guard. Attached it to a Noga style base so I can position it as needed.

I copied this idea from someone else, sure works well.
Post in thread 'POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?'
https://www.hobby-machinist.com/thr...ou-make-in-your-shop-today.67833/post-1013822

I have since then removed the chuck guard as it no longer serves any useful purpose. The Noga articulating arm can be placed in the "perfect" location in about two seconds.
The commercial versions of this style run from $400 to $900. Looks like good coverage and you can see what you are doing.
The main thing also is that it easily gets out of the way.

Jeff the one you linked to looks pretty easy to duplicate with some acrylic and aluminum (?) rods. Acrylic is really easy to form with a little heat.
I had one I made that covered about twice that length--didn't take long for it to go away--pain in a$$.

Please, do tell, @jocat54.
Modifying my toolpost to accept a dial indicator arm is on my short list of things to do. Should it be removed from the list?

I have played with these several times. I like a solid (steel) 'hood' over the chuck, but beyond that, nothing has been satisfactory. The clear stuff can't be kept clean and clear enough and the opaque stuff is just in the way. I made some 'moveable' polycarbonate shields and that's been the best thing for my use case - I just put them in place when the chips are coming at me, but otherwise don't use them. Flat polycarbonate is easiest - easy to make, easy to replace.

GsT

Back