Show me your DIY lathe chip guard

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I've had it. My last project had me cleaning up C's and 6's all over the place including my bald head, tool chest, etc.
I've seen some pretty good ones and I'm looking to make a see through front panel with full coverage back to the splash pan.

Thanks guys.

I like this one but no way I'm paying $400

Been there done that.. (nobody says that anymore).
I'll get a pic later. I built mine out of wood, I was tired of the oil slinging everywhere, and the chips being everywhere. But guess what, the chips still occasionally find their way over the backsplash (with a cover) ..
edit: I didn't see the chip guard you were referring to. I thought you were referring to the back splash type of chip guard. I made a backsplash type. I don't use the type you are showing.
My backsplash allows me to use both sides.

Attachments

• PXL_20230410_215651090.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230410_215651090.MP.jpg
    620.7 KB · Views: 98
  • PXL_20230410_215633987.jpg
    PXL_20230410_215633987.jpg
    619.9 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
I have them on all my lathes , never use them . Should I post them ? :grin:
You like eating chips? Yeah, post them.
Depending on the cutter obviously and sometimes the chips head straight down into the pan.
The last cast iron piece I cut I had chips everywhere.
I never thought i’d use one either but there are times.

Here's a few . I hate them . :grin:

Attachments

• IMG_9699.JPG
    IMG_9699.JPG
    429.1 KB · Views: 70
Here are a couple pics of the guard that came on my Sheldon. It's just a piece of polycarbonate bent at an angle and held to the headstock cover with a couple hinges. It's a bit crude, and like mmcmdl I rarely use it. Most of my work is done with HHS tooling. Speeds are usually in the 1000 rpm range or less. I grind the blanks with a chip breaker so very little swarf makes it outside the machine.

I've always hated the big splash guards at the back of the machine, so I made a smaller one that travels with the carriage. It can be repositioned by loosening 3 knobs at the rear and sliding it in the track attached to the rear of the carriage.

Attachments

• DSC09990.JPG
    DSC09990.JPG
    489.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC09991.JPG
    DSC09991.JPG
    447.6 KB · Views: 71
I just use a chip brush held near the cutting tool. Works well and very cheap.

A tip courtesy of John York, that has saved me much sandblasting from cast iron chips.

I also use a face shield when working with particularly messy materials.

Back