Should I Keep 2 Bench Grinders?

just keep it outta the puddle lol
That is ALWAYS the PLAN, it's the IMPLEMENTATION that's lacking.......speaking for myself.

I currently have three bench grinders:
1) one wheel for TIG the other for general grinding
2) wire-wheel on one end, buffing wheel on the other
3) a small one with a triangular groove in the rest for holding drill bits at the proper angle

Oh.....and a spare in the shed that I got used for a good price, just in case one of the above dies....

And I am still not setup for sharpening carbide.....

-brino

I still have the bench grinder I started out with 40+ years ago, a General Tools 6" model belt driven by an old washing machine motor hanging under the bench. General may still be making them, looks like just this one and is in the same condition:
$_35.JPG
I keep a coarse wheel and a wire brush on it, and it is my go to grinder after all these years, even though it is anything but smooth running. It has seen a lot of use and never has needed any maintenance.

It is surrounded by two other 6" bench grinders, 3 sander grinders, a carbide grinder, all with various other wheels. One is an old school Baldor, another is a nice Wissota. One is an old Dunlap. One is a Taiwan 6x48" sander with a 9" circular wheel as well. One is the little HF 1x30" sander grinder. For a few weeks I had a 12" pedestal grinder, picked up from H-M member dlane. I finally realized I had no use whatever for it (just looked so cool!) and sold it to another H-M member, Ulma Doctor for what I had in it. The one I want, but really don't need, is one of those 8" ones the OP is trying to make a decision on.

And of course, also several die grinders, a tool post grinder, a Dremel clone, a Drill Doctor 750x, various sidewinder grinders, and probably some more I missed. And a bunch of extra wheels. No wonder I can't seem to make room for the surface grinder I really want to get to play with. 8^)

As you might have guessed, I am in agreement with those who think you should keep both, unless of course if you want to send one to me!

$_35.JPG

$_35.JPG

$_35.JPG

$_35.JPG

$_35.JPG

Ditto on keeping both, and why not get another one. Seriously. I have two and really want another one. And again, as I have said before, I'm a cheapskate.

CHuck the grumpy old guy

I wish I had 2 more. The one I have right now is setup with a scotchbrite on one side and a buffing wheel on the other. 2 more would give me a fine & coarse and then soft wire & stiff wire. ok ok....3 more one for a dedicated tool grinder.

It's up to you. What is your cash situation like? Will you lose money (or much time) in sending the Jet back? What you can read into the replies is that: having several grinders is really nice (no kidding - same concept holds for all the rest of the metal we aquire). The second thing you can see is that if you stay in this game very long, it is pretty easy to end up with quite a few "mounted abrasive machines". I have 5 pedistal style grinders (6" 8" & 10") - 2 were from my dad and actually came from a store, 2 came to me free as being "unrepairable" and a big old carbide grinder from an auction (I actually paid pretty good money for that one - 50% of the lowest price I'd ever seen on e-bay).

Even your own experience of $50 for a "great condition" 8" Baldor should point you in the right direction.

You won't go wrong by keeping that Jet. You won't go wrong by sending it back and keep on looking for another opportunity like that Baldor (or most of the examples above).

Let us know how it works out for you.

I use one for grinding parts to be welded. Course wheels to remove as much metal as possible. Don't care about dressing it. Another with buffing wheels for polishing. And a third for grinding tool bits and drills. Fine wheels and nothing else gets ground on that grinder. If I had another I would use it for wire brushes. In other words I would keep the grinder and make a purpose use tool out of it.

Well, I opened the Jet grinder and it is a REALLY nice grinder, especially for the cost. So smooth right out of the box that I put a nickle on the motor standing edgewise and it just stayed there. Yeah, I'll keep em both. Especially after I found out it would be near $50 shipping to return it. Ah, well.

Now I want the Eastwood buffer.

Tool wants never end...

Last edited:
Back