Shortening a motor shaft

That may be true, but I think only if power is applied into the motor, then it will "push back" One of my friends did this with relatively small hydro electric installations with Pelton type water wheels.
That was from what my father told me, he was going to do a water wheel generator.

My inclination would be to keep the motor as a buffer and locate another motor. Let's say you decided
you wanted a long shaft motor and went looking for one. The odds are you won't find one. I have never seen
one . My out of the box thinking tells me that rarity increases the value exponentially. At least think it over
before amputating the shaft...:sherlock: Especially one with a one inch diameter output.......rare!

My inclination would be to keep the motor as a buffer and locate another motor. Let's say you decided
you wanted a long shaft motor and went looking for one. The odds are you won't find one. I have never seen
one . My out of the box thinking tells me that rarity increases the value exponentially. At least think it over
before amputating the shaft...:sherlock: Especially one with a one inch diameter output.......rare!
I do not plan on cutting it until I need to.

i have shortened motor shafts while the motor is running, with an angle grinder and a cut off wheel. (PPE was used)

i don't recommend the practice for the faint of heart
This is how I have done it. Like ANY job setup is key, a practice run without actually cutting so you can make sure of stability and comfort, ability to finish the cut ect

I would scribe a line with a fine permanent marker with shaft running.

Use an abrasive cut off wheel such a Zip Cut while motor is OFF to sever.

Use an angle grinder with flap wheel OR hand file to dress the cut with running.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like a coolant pump motor
I got it with a buffing wheel on it.
Shaft has been turned down about 3-4" back, end of the shaft has what appears to be 10-24 or so thread

One of my friends did this with relatively small hydro electric installations with Pelton type water wheels.
Would that be Pete Sr.?
I know he did a lot with water pumps up in Almanor.

Back