!!! ShopFox M1112 not as described, seller is VM-Express, Beware!!!

Way too often today when buying on the internet, you're not dealing with a real company with an actual store of product. The "virtual" model is all advertising and marketing, then when a sale is made, depending on a third party supplier to drop-ship the product to the buyer. The seller may never have seen it.

When this works sometimes, some folk think the lower prices are worth it. Rock Auto is an example. They don't have warehouses or actually handle what they sell, just a supercharged website which they pay the google-whore to put at the top of any search.

jack vines

Take the money and build a proper base. David Best has a great one he built and documented here.

If you can even get the stock cast iron ones there's no guarantee it'll put the lathe at the height you want it.

John

No way would I spend that kind of money on a factory stand. They usually have no storage in them and I find them almost always too short.

The OP asked about stand height. You own a lathe now that you're going to use, so make the stand exactly the height that you want. In fact, it's quite possible had you received the stands, you'd be complaining that they weren't tall enough!

Last edited:
The OP asked about stand height. You own a lathe now that you're going to use, so make the stand exactly the height that you want. In fact, it's quite possible had you received the stands, you'd be complaining that they weren't tall enough!
In the mamual they say the stands are 15 x 15 x 15. That doesn't make any sense as the pic shows them as rectangles and the total height being 54.5". So who knows. I'm going to consider building my own stand.

We have a lot of structural steel companies here in Alberta - you can find, by phoning around some shortish pieces of 6X6X1/2 angle iron used to stiffen structures. Two of those in the back, with 1/2" side walls and a 1/2" sheet top will cost you about 700$ or 800$ and give you a far sturdier base than a factory one - all you need is a little welding. Bonus - all the room underneath can be storage...

If you have any large fabricators out there yo8u might give that a try. For $1600 they'd probably build and weld it for you!

Take the money and build a proper base. David Best has a great one he built and documented here.

If you can even get the stock cast iron ones there's no guarantee it'll put the lathe at the height you want it.

John
I agree, build one.

I will try to get down to my shop tomorrow, and measure the bases.

Definitely build your own base.
That will let you build in storage that makes sense for your needs.

Back