!!! ShopFox M1112 not as described, seller is VM-Express, Beware!!!

Maplehead

Registered
Registered
Hi All
A week ago last Wednesday I purchased the M1112 lathe from eBay via the seller VM-Express. It looked like a great deal as the lathe was in stock as opposed to the long wait Grizzly has for the lathe. Plus, it included all the accessories and the cast iron stand for about $700 cheaper as it also included free shipping. Total was $4450.00. The lathe arrived this past Thursday, two days later than expected, which was a bummer because it was sunny and dry on Tuesday and Wednesday. Now it's been raining since it arrived. Anyways, all I got was the lathe and the accessories, no stand bases. I contacted the seller and after their research they were sorry that the stand bases are no longer in their warehouse. They offered me a $200 partial reimbursement. Yeah, nice try. The two cast iron bases together cost $1665.20 and that's not including shipping. They weigh about 200 pounds together. To me this is a real crappy bate and switch move. Now I have to begin the long hassle of somehow rectifying the situation. The packaging for the lathe came pretty damaged yet I do not believe the lathe itself suffered any damage. I took lots of pics but I did remove the packaging/crating. It would be a real PITA for me to have to re-crate this thing properly, which I do not believe I should have to do as now I would be liabel for any damage upon return. So now I'm trying to figure what path to take. Keep it and try to get re-imbursed for the stands and just make a temporary stand for now or return? Any suggestions? Also, anybody have this lathe? If so, what are the base heights? The manual is confusing as it lists both stand cartons as 15 x 15 x 15. No way these bases are 15" or less in height.
Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 4E3F634D-CF3F-4503-862E-C10DE2F88EAE.jpeg
    4E3F634D-CF3F-4503-862E-C10DE2F88EAE.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 32
I had a similar situation and I fought the seller hard, threatened to go to eBay, write a scathing review etc.
I’d file a claim no matter what. My experience has been that sellers don’t want their reputation sullied so will try hard to please.

It must be a small company as I just got a reply back from my email to them earlier this morning. Anyways, they offered a max partial re-imbursement of $900. So that would leave me with having to pay an extra $765 plus shipping. Nope

Definitely file a claim!

I would contact your credit card company and tell them about it, ask them what you should do first. They want you to be a happy customer and keep using their card so they are usually very helpful.
Precision Mathews, Jet, and Grizzly are the better vendors for import machines, I'd buy from one of them
-Mark
ps Don't worry about crating it at the moment. If the credit card company gets your money back the vendor will have to come and get their lathe back crated or not, I think

Last edited:
Yep. File a claim. You did not get what you wanted and now they are trying to play games.
I am not sure how this works anymore with ebay not utilizing PayPal, but if you used PayPal or a credit card (I'm sure you did) you have protections through that route. As David pointed out, get a claim going right away.

Also, as you are finding out, dealing with a reputable company has value.

Seems like a common problem, my guess id that the sellers keep on copying the same specs. and the company switched to a sheet metal base as stock quite a while ago. I can't see the cast iron base being so much, on the PM-1236 it was a $200 upgrade over the stock base. If they cannot get you the cast iron base I would return the lathe via eBay. I would be more inclined to get a PM-1236 or PM-1236GT, sometimes it not about all the trinkets that come with the machine but more the post sale service and parts if needed.

Also Eisen Machinery. Their website says sold out but I find that surprising since they were supposed to have a shipment come in about a month ago.

EDIT: As Mark just pointed out in his post above me, the PM1236T would actually be a better value in the long run. The Shop Fox you purchased is a Chinese lathe. The PM1236T is a Taiwan. Having had both Chinese and now an Eisen Taiwanese lathe, I would never buy another Chinese lathe (or probably anything else for that matter.)

Seems like a common problem, my guess id that the sellers keep on copying the same specs. and the company switched to a sheet metal base as stock quite a while ago. I can't see the cast iron base being so much, on the PM-1236 it was a $200 upgrade over the stock base. If they cannot get you the cast iron base I would return the lathe via eBay. I would be more inclined to get a PM-1236 or PM-1236GT, sometimes it not about all the trinkets that come with the machine but more the post sale service and parts if needed.

I was eyeing both Grizzly and PM. They are both on long delays before the products arrive in the US. By chance I saw this on eBay and in stock for $700 less so I pulled the trigger. I need the lathe now. Of course now I'm f%$#ed.

Back