Shop temperature control

i know you said no split system but a hp is way more efficient at heating the space long term that straight electric and will save you $$$ in the long run.
I can't do a 7+ year return on investment. Not right now. I'm paying next to nothing on cooling already. I might be paying up to $300 a year for heat.

I can't do a 7+ year return on investment. Not right now. I'm paying next to nothing on cooling already. I might be paying up to $300 a year for heat.
you can get hp in window units for low cost and small split system hp go for as low as 450 in DIY form.
you will have several $ in anything you put in, it is your shop I'm just asking if you have looked closely at all the options.

and then i look at where you are at and a hp may not be ideal for you, like they are down here. the hp would save you a lot of money down to the min temp they work at (20 deg F or so) and then you would need to back it up with electric heat.

Last edited:
you can get hp in window units for low cost and small split system hp go for as low as 450 in DIY form.
you will have several $ in anything you put in, it is your shop I'm just asking if you have looked closely at all the options.

and then i look at where you are at and a hp may not be ideal for you, like they are down here. the hp would save you a lot of money down to the min temp they work at (20 deg F or so) and then you would need to back it up with electric heat.
after reading the rating of 1 reviews, I have to say, stay away from that unit... costway is not a reputable machine... help and freon are non existant.

Half of our winter is in the 20's

after reading the rating of 1 reviews, I have to say, stay away from that unit... costway is not a reputable machine... help and freon are non existant.
lol I have 2 25 pound drums in my shop, and there are a lot more of those units so pick another that you like better, but as i stated earlier. considering the cold temps at this location it may be less than optimal for there for me it is perfect we rarely see temps below 25 deg F here.

lol I have 2 25 pound drums in my shop, and there are a lot more of those units so pick another that you like better, but as i stated earlier. considering the cold temps at this location it may be less than optimal for there for me it is perfect we rarely see temps below 25 deg F here.
drums, I thought we were talking mini splits?

Well....it's finally cooling off. It's been in the low 50's all day and mid 40's at night. My shop finally got to 61⁰ with no energy input.

I fired up the infrared heaters just for fun because I'm like a kid with a new toy. They raised the temperature by 7⁰ in 30 minutes. Not bad honestly. A 30k btu kerosene heater would faster but I don't need it. These two heaters produce about 10,240 btu. I figure running an hour will be enough most of the time.

While those numbers are not impressive I am adding in my oil radiator to maintain the heat. I set it at the setting I used last year to maintain 40⁰ in the coldest part of the winter. I also am going to run a fan circulating the heat along the ceiling all the time. That will help keep the machines warmer and eliminate some of the heat gradient floor to ceiling.

Since heat loss is so low now I would not be at all surprised to find the shop at 60⁰ in the morning after it hits 41⁰ tonight outside.

I am really excited to see where the balance lies.

The oil radiator operates a lot different than a regular heater. Even set on a low setting it heats until the heater gets hot enough to shut down the thermostat and then it shuts off and it keeps emitting heat.

Then the temps drop it will turn back on.

Turing up the temperature does make it run to higher tenps but it will still get to a temperature where it will turn off. I think over all it won't run non stop unless you turn it all the way up. Pretty interesting.

Back