Shop lights

Paul in OKC

Registered
Registered
What are you all using for shop lights? I work in my garage and have been using the 48" fluorescent lights. Some last, most don't have much longevity. Tired of changing bulbs, and replacing a ballast is about the same price as buying a new light.

I use the T5 High Output flourescents. They make a heck of a light, work in cold weather, and last a looong time. Here is one at Home Depot to show you what I'm talking about, but that is not the style I use. I use a 8 ft fixture that uses 4- 4ft bulbs. They make all different styles of fixtures, but for the best light just make sure they are the HO instead of the 28 watt, they use a different ballast.

Model:IBC 454 MVInternet/Catalog:202838871Store SKU:640062

I just installed fifteen of the eight foot fout bulb T5's in my shop. They are plenty bright , start at eighteen degrees and are rated to 10,000 hours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk

I am in the process of putting together a new shop. For lighting, I used LED 60w equivelent lamps that actually use 10w each. They are type that emulate a standard A-19 incandescent "bulb". I used old school porcelain fixtures mounted on 4" octagonal ceiling boxes; total cost per lighting point about $15 (not including wiring). I put 12 points in the 600 sq. ft. main room and 9 in the 300 sq. ft. ancillary room. Of course I have supplemental lighting at some machines. With a total load of 210w to light 900 sq. ft., instant on, 20+ year life and a pleasant color temperature, I am vey happy with the LED lights.

I am in the process of putting together a new shop. For lighting, I used LED 60w equivelent lamps that actually use 10w each. They are type that emulate a standard A-19 incandescent "bulb". I used old school porcelain fixtures mounted on 4" octagonal ceiling boxes; total cost per lighting point about $15 (not including wiring). I put 12 points in the 600 sq. ft. main room and 9 in the 300 sq. ft. ancillary room. Of course I have supplemental lighting at some machines. With a total load of 210w to light 900 sq. ft., instant on, 20+ year life and a pleasant color temperature, I am vey happy with the LED lights.

Thanks for the comment on your LED lights. I am slowly switching over to LED myself. Just put small 50w equivalent LED spotlights on my mill and drillpress light fixtures today, and was looking at and wondering about the led flourescent tubes.

Chris

I recently upgraded a granite shop to T5 HO fixtures. They do a great job on a high ceiling (4-lamp HO 4' long fixtures - not good for low ceilings like the 8' units are.) The big difference was that we used 6500K colour temperature tubes. These made the 5000K tubes in the shipping/receiving area look yellow.

Here's the challenge: try 6500K tubes in your shop. You'll see so much better, you'll never want anything else. I'm planning on doing it when I rebuild my shop.

Home Depot carries both these 6 bulb fixtures and these Daylight bulbs, it will be like the sun in your shop. I have 6 of these in a 3 bay garage. I have 2 hanging over my 6 foot work bench alone. My eyes are getting older and I need lots of light. At night the light flooding out my garage door windows...its like the close encounters of the third kind mother ship! I have had these for nearly 2 years now, no issues and I have yet to change a bulb.

Fixture http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia...ging-Fluorescent-Fixture-IB-632-MVH/202193185

Bulbs http://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips-...ht-Bulb-10-Pack-451807/205477895?N=5yc1vZbm3z

54 watt T8 fixture is the way to go. The bulbs are only available in 4' length, but you can get an 8' fixture with 4 buls which will easily light up a two bay garage. The only issue with one fixture is shadows are created when the fixture is to your back.

Back