Shop anchor for come-along or winch

Bob Korves

Platinum
Rest In Peace
I am preparing for building a shop in my 'new to me' back yard in Sacramento, California. I have seen anchors added to the wall opposite an entry door, that serve as a mount for winches, come-alongs and other pulling units to help pull heavier equipment and automobiles up the access ramp and into the shop. Searching the local codes, we can find nothing that shows anything like that. All that is needed is an eye bolt type ring that pulling devices can be solidly attached to while pulling, along with it's strong anchorage, or something similar. The ones I have seen are located two inches or so above the concrete floor and anchored into the concrete foundation wall. My architect brother in law who is making the plans has not seen anything like that before, and we are not having much luck finding what we need to get something like that approved. Any help will be appreciated!

Last edited:
I am preparing for building a shop in my 'new to me' back yard in Sacramento, California. I have seen anchors added to the wall opposite an entry door, that serve as a mount for winches, come-alongs and other pulling units ...we are not having much luck finding what we need to get something like that approved. Any help will be appreciated!
The closest item I've seen built is a concrete footing for steel frame buildings; reinforcing and vertical load handling
are key for that, but lateral-force stresses are encountered mainly in things like bridges; perhaps suspension
bridge cable anchors are a suitable model?

When I poured my shop slab, I had two 6x6 inch plates put near the center-line of the shop. If needed I can weld a pull-ring to them temporarily. The posts that hold the roof's I-beams are 14 gauge 4x4 square tubing, one in each corner and one half way down each wall. I used the posts to move my machinery a couple of weeks ago. One lathe and my mill both weigh somewhere between 10,000 and 15,000 lbs. each. I opened the door and backed my 20 foot flatbed partly into the shop and used the winch on it and snatch-blocks to maneuver the machines into position using machinery skates. As long as the machines are on skates or pipes you aren't putting as much force on the anchor points as you would think. Now, dead-weight would be another matter entirely.

Last edited:
A 3/4” x4 to 6” drill in wedge anchor stud and a d-ring arrangement or fab’d pulling plate of sufficient thickness would be all that is necessary.
I wouldn’t seek approval by inspectors if the work is completed after the structure is standing .

a piece of black iron pipe with a high strength bolt retaining a piece of chain could be inset into the concrete to provide anchorage
J bolts could be inset into the pad for anchorage as well

All I could find was standards for anchors intended for fall protection, not your intended purpose of dragging a heavy load. These anchors are required to meet a minimum of 5000lb shock load and many are rated to 10,000 but the intent is to withstand the impact shock loading of up to a 425lb of falling load (probably the weight of 2 workers with gear).

ANSI Z359.1-2007

OSHA 1926.502

The only other some what related standard I found relates to overhead cranes and gantry cranes which also don't really meet your specific use.

OSHA 1910.179

I also tried to find standards for tow truck equipment which is kind of what you are looking at minus the truck. Not much of use their either with most regulations just stating a requirement that the winch, tie downs and associated hardware be appropriately rated for the given load.

My 2 post lift came with 5/8" drop in expansion anchors that are also set with epoxy. You can put in an eye bolt, and when it's removed put in a removable plug. :dunno:

Back