Shipping tips for a Bridgeport mill?

I have been rebuilding Bridgeports for over 40 years. I am a professional Machine Rebuilder and Millwright.

You sound like your an experienced machinist mate and can do this yourself. Safety first though!

You have a 36" table machine. The first thing I would do is clean the ways under the knee and crank the knee down to the bottom of the ways. Then clean the ways of the over arm ram and front of top of knee, crank the saddle out as far as it will go and loosen the 2 ram locks and move it out so when you swing the head around and motor down it doesn't hit the column.

Loosen the 4 - 3/4" nuts that hold the head on and use a 3/4 socket and ratchet and crank the head around and have a friend hold it as it moves around as the worm and worm rack are sometimes worn and will strip if you don't support it as it rolls around. When the head is 180 deg's. flipped over tighten the 4 nuts (Some only have 3 as the other guy said, but those are old machines) The book the one guy talks about dismantling the machine looks like a copy of the original Bridgeport book and looks like a good deal, The price the author charges to rebuild the machine is super high in my opinion.

If you look at the top of the ram there is a 1/2 / 13 tapped hole where you can put in an eye bolt (not a cheap one you buy at Home Depot, you know this from your days in the Navy) and screw it in all the way with 3 or 4 flat washers under the eye. Before you leave the shop your loading it at, slide in a 1' Heavy Duty Nylon strap or hardened chain with cleavace and lift the machine with your friends forklift. You can carefully move the ram in and out to get the center of gravity right. You may have to move the saddle in too. when you find it, set it back on the ground. Then put a 2 x 4 on top of the centered table and slowly crank the knee up to snug the board just to help support machine components and lock the knee, table and saddle. Some guys also put boards and tapered shims under the knee.

Load it on your trailer and use 2" HD nylon straps to hold it down, one over the ram and one over the knee. Many times we nail 2 x 4's around the base if the trailer bed is wood or you can set the machine on a 1" piece of plywood. If I were you I would look up in your rafters in your barn and see how solid they are, as the ones in my bard are rated for hay in the loft. If you can do it lay a oak 4 x 4 x say 10' long up there and rent a chain hoist or buy one. a one ton should be enough and chain the hoist to the 4 x 4. Then back your trailer inside the barn and lift up the machine and drive the trailer out of barn and lower the machine. The idea using the pipe is ok too, but it could get away on you moving it down the ramp. If it does, do not try to stop it as your bones break easier then the cast iron. You know this from your Navy days. Or use your engine hoist if it is heavy enough to do it.

If you were not so experienced I would also hire a professional as they could probably spend 10 minutes unloading it. Better safe then sorry I always say. If you need any more help call me. 651 338 8141. Richard King
PS: If you want to re-scrape the machine sometime, lets do a scraping seminar in your shop and invite all your buddies and the guys on here, it would be fun.

There was a machinery shop that had placed a couple of stickers on the mill with their contact info listed on them. I tried to call the company to get a little history on the mill, but their phone number had been disconnected. All I know about it is that it has been in it's current location for about 7-8 years and that it seems to have seen little use over it's lifetime judging by the ways and the backlash.

While I was at the garage today I got a few pics of the mill. It's a little cramped around it right now, but it won't be too much trouble to get a clear path around it when we're ready to pull the mill out of there. As you can see in the pics, I've got a LOT of cleaning to do on this thing. It's had a lot of oil kept on the machined surfaces so there is little to no rust that I could see. However, that oil has collected dirt and dust from being in the middle of the garage for the last few years.
2012-09-13143129.jpg
2012-09-13143044.jpg
2012-09-13143101.jpg
2012-09-13145106.jpg

I'm still getting some info for sources for local machinery moving prosand am leaning towards just hiring someone to unload it and set into place. I've got plenty of manpower help and adequate equipment at the garage to get it safely onto the trailer and tied down for transport. Except for the tie down straps that is. The only ones I have currently are 1" wide ones used for tying down motorcycles. Those will NOT be used to tie down the mill. I'm going to buy some new 2" wide heavy duty tie down straps to lock the mill in place on that trailer before it goes anywhere. I'm definately trying to get this evolution accomplished without any mishaps. Most likely I'll print this entire thread out and bring it with me on moving day, as there's a lot of good info being passed out here.

Richard, I really appreciate the offer to help with rescraping it, but so far the mill looks like it may not need it. However, I do have a 10" Atlas lathe that I'm still gathering some parts for that needs a good scraping though. I might just give you a call when I'm ready to tackle that one. :)

EDIT: I just ordered the book linked to a couple of posts above. Thanks for the tip!

2012-09-13143129.jpg

2012-09-13143044.jpg

2012-09-13143101.jpg

2012-09-13145106.jpg

Last edited:
That motor is a replacement motor as those had a motor they called a pancake motor so it was maybe 6" shorter. If the pro's do it or a wrecker operator you may not have to take it off and leave it right side up. I can't recall how far you have to go to get it home. If its a long trip maybe remove the motor and then flip the head.

The table isn't all drilled and milled up...I can only see one hole....Oh that old grease machine has a oil hole in the bottom of the middle T slot to lube the table screw. Probably be a good idea to pull it apart and clean off all the old grease.
Good luck. Rich

I bought a Jet Knee mill this Spring. I had riggers remove it from the sellers basement and put it in my garage. That was the easy part. Unfortunately, I still had to go up two steps then down 16 to get to my basement shop. Taking it apart was the only way to do it. Here is the story with some pictures:

http://bullfire.net/Mill/Milling Machine.html

Nice Bridgeport find. The book will be a valuable tool for any work that you do on the mill. I could not have done my rebuild without it. Cain't wait to see what the machine looks like cleaned up!

David

I got a quote of $157 for the slab to get poured. I'm shooting for Friday to get the concrete truck here.

I'm still researching prices and availability of local moving help, so I don't have an idea of what that'll cost yet.

BTW: The book just arrived in the mail today, so I'll be taking a peek in there to get familar with the machine.

I got a quote of $157 for the slab to get poured. I'm shooting for Friday to get the concrete truck here.

I'm still researching prices and availability of local moving help, so I don't have an idea of what that'll cost yet.

BTW: The book just arrived in the mail today, so I'll be taking a peek in there to get familar with the machine.

You should let the slab sit for at least 30 days before you put the mill on it. Give the concrete time to season some.

When I purchased my import mill I used a engine hoist to lift it and put it on a extra heavy pallet. I borrowed a pallet jack and hooked the winch to it and pulled it onto the trailer. Reversed the process when I got it home. Me and a buddy had it loaded and unloaded in about 1.5 hrs. Since you have access to a fork lift it will be even easier for you. Ask your concrete guy how long before weight is applied to the pad, my guy had me wait 7 days, havent had any problems yet.

Too many variable in the mix for concrete these days to say for sure, but the general rule of thumb for years has been that concrete reaches 90% of its compressive strength in 28 days. Load can be applied in as little as 7 under normal circumstances, as long as the design has sufficient safety margin. Ask the guys that specified the mix.

Ask the guys that specified the mix.

That's the plan. They'll know what works best with the mixes they sell. They said I could get it in either 3K or 4K psi mixes (compression stregnth). Either one will work and the 4K is only $2 more per yard if I heard him right.

Back