sheldon mill

rubysdaddy

Registered
Registered
Hi I am new here, I read all the time but havent posted yet. I have a question about a sheldon mill horizontal. Iam looking for a mill for my small home shop and i would like to know the main disadvantages to a horizontal over a mill drill. And can I put a head on it to use vertical. I know a mill drill would not be near as rigid but what cant I do with a vertical that I cant with a horizontal. Thanks

I have a Model O Sheldon and I really like it. It may not be as versatile in set up but once you learn to think sideways instead of vertical, you can remove a lot of metal quickly. It is very much more rigid than the Grizzly mill drill I have.

Bedwards

It may not be as versatile in set up but once you learn to think sideways instead of vertical, you can remove a lot of metal quickly.

Bedwards covered a lot of the 'disadvantages' of horizontal mills here - they will eat some metal off, but youll have to adapt some different techniques to get set up to use. A horizontal takes a whole nuther line of tooling, and if the mill doesnt come with a good bunch of tooling, finding them can be problematic - and much of the tooling wont cross over to a horizontal.

Very obviously they are outdated technology since they have been out of production for many years (well, there are a few exceptions) If its your first mill, I wouldnt recommend a horizontal as your first. One can be a nice addition to a shop if you got the room - kinda like a shaper can be fun to have around too, but not something you go to first thing.

Id say keep looking for a vertical ... but then... Sheldon made some nice machines, and if the price was right, and it had tooling.......

The Sheldon has a B&S #9 taper. Mine came with a 1" arbor. I have bought a good bit of cutters for it pretty cheap including a couple gear cutting racks. Tools4cheap has some new collets for it. I bought a B&S #9 to double taper zz collet adapter but have never had to use it. If you scour the net, you can find tooling for it. I guess the whole deal depends on how cheap you can get it and what tooling does it come with. They weigh about 1300 lbs and the later models have a mechanical veritable speed adjustment although I do mine with a VFD I installed.

Bedwards

Ok I just talked to the man that has it for sale. It is the O model says it is tight,clean, has the overarm ect. Set of end mills,collets. Tooling for the horizontal arbor bar , Think the bed is about 36 inches has no power feed. Price is 700.00??????????????? It is also single phase

The Craigs list add asked for $750 on mine but I offered $250 and got it. It had no tooling except for a 1" arbor and was set up for 3phase. It has a power feed and coolant pump and was made in the 60s. I bought a Teco VFD to run it on 220 single. I've had it a couple years now with really no problems.

Bedwards

thanks guys I think I will keep looking. I just want to have something to fool around with in my retirement. I`m thinking It may be more than I need. I would like to have power feed and a vertical head, so by the time I add all that I could have more money than I want in to it. I`m sure it is a fine machine but I`m not running a shop just a hobby. I have a 9in south bend,have lots of fun with it.

Don't be bashful, make them an offer. Worst thing they can do is turn you down. :)

be

might just do that, what would be a fair offer. iyho I would be more inclined to do it if he was closer but its 4hrs away and I don`t have pictures. Hes an older fellaI don`t think he`s computer savy.

Back