SHELDON EXL-56B - Repair / restore or part out?

Paul O

Registered
Registered
Hi,
Just joined the site - lots to do.
I have acquired a Sheldon EXL 56B, but it needs a new tumbler gearbox (well half of it) , end gearing assembly, and a headstock main gear.

Part NumberDescriptionQuantityPrice
A-1021/8-16 Heavy Nut5
K-93Hardened Washers5
L-1664FChange Gear 44 tooth2
A-1003Oil Cover1
L-1603Intermediate Gear 80 tooth1
L-1604Steel Cap Bushing1
L-1602End Gear Quadrant1
L-167Square Head Bolt1
A-1379Bronze Bushing for Intermediate Gear1
K-446Knurled Spacer Bushing1
A-902Hi Pro Key2
L1626Drive Shaft FOR Lead Screw1
L-1797Bronze Thrust Washer2
C-430ATumbler Gear 16 Tooth1
C-402Tumbler1
TC-433Tumbler Gear 32 Tooth1
L-1619-1Tumbler Pull Pin1
L1796Threaded Tumbler Bushing1
C-418Pull Pin Knob1
A-6011/1 X 20 X ¼” Set Screw 2
A-1201Snap Ring2
Ref 79 (page XQ9)No Description1
A-900Hi Pro Key 5/8 x 1/81
A-902No HP 404 Hi Pro Key ½ x 1/81
C-420Adjusting Collar1
C-434Collar Lock Nut1
L-776Brass Plunger1
L-37-50Large Face Gear 70 Tooth1

It is old but little used, so here is my dilema - do i part it out - worth a bit but could take a while, wait for parts on e-bay - could take a long while? The money made in parts could get me a good working lathe - advice sought and wanted

Also i have teh full table and all accessories - including colletts, chucks, steadies and the taper attachment.
Cheers

Last edited:
It's up to you, how much money you want to spend. If you repair it, you would have a good machine. There are several places you may could get parts and advice.
Try http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sheldonlathe/ friendly and a lot of help. One of the mods there used to work for Sheldon. Also http://plazamachinery.com/ has parts for some of the older machines. Last Bourn and Koch has some new parts as they bought what was left of Sheldon. I bought a brand new worm from them for my '43.
Bourn & Koch Inc
2500 Kishwaukee Street
Rockford, IL 61104
Phone 800-553-2263

good luck either way

bedwards

It's up to you, how much money you want to spend. If you repair it, you would have a good machine. There are several places you may could get parts and advice.
Try http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Sheldonlathe/ friendly and a lot of help. One of the mods there used to work for Sheldon. Also http://plazamachinery.com/ has parts for some of the older machines. Last Bourn and Koch has some new parts as they bought what was left of Sheldon. I bought a brand new worm from them for my '43.
Bourn & Koch Inc
2500 Kishwaukee Street
Rockford, IL 61104
Phone 800-553-2263

good luck either way

bedwards

Thank you - I tried Bourn and Koch Inc - worked out at over $4600 in new parts!
Way over my budget - but am still looking.
The key is speed - want to be using my lathe, not fixing it.

Paul

Sheldon made some nice lathes - IMO a step or two above the SB's of those time periods. Having said that, they are getting more and more scarce (as are all those fine old machines from 'back then') even more so than the popular SB. Have recently done an extensive rebuild on a Sheldon M series I can speak on the availability - or lack of - parts out there. From your description of missing parts I suspect you are in for a long wait. I prowled ebay daily and while there are usually a good many parts for the Sheldons listed, there are many that never seem to be available - I literally made from scratch several of the parts I needed.

Good luck with whatever you decide...

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...-the-walking-stick-drive-quot?highlight=pacer

The lack of parts and time is leading me to 'break' it. The paucity of spares means i should get around the $2000.00 or more for parts, enabling the funding of a good lathe.

Anyone know of a parts dealer who will take the whole thing?

Need to get up and running as i have rifle barrels that need fitting to receivers and other such work.
Want to be turning metal soon.

So before i part this out - is anyone interested in it - am open to offers.
TRUCUT.JPGMetric gears - before cleaning.JPGMotor and pully sytem.JPGQuick Change Gearbox.JPGReverse gearing.JPGSaddle - side view.JPGSaddle and chuck.JPGSteady, follower and micometer stop drawer.JPGTail Stock.JPGTaper Attachment.JPGLathe - Headstock End.JPGLarge free center.JPG3 Jaw Chuck and bed.JPG4 Jaw Chuck.JPGAbove Tail stock.JPGCollet Drawer + contents.JPGFace plate drawer.JPGHead to Tail above.JPGHeadstock end.JPGHeadstock gears.JPGInside Headstock.JPGTooling drawer - before cleaning.JPG

TRUCUT.JPG 3 Jaw Chuck and bed.JPG 4 Jaw Chuck.JPG Above Tail stock.JPG Collet Drawer + contents.JPG Face plate drawer.JPG Head to Tail above.JPG Headstock end.JPG Headstock gears.JPG Inside Headstock.JPG Large free center.JPG Lathe - Headstock End.JPG Metric gears - before cleaning.JPG Motor and pully sytem.JPG Quick Change Gearbox.JPG Reverse gearing.JPG Saddle - side view.JPG Saddle and chuck.JPG Steady, follower and micometer stop drawer.JPG Tail Stock.JPG Taper Attachment.JPG Tooling drawer - before cleaning.JPG

I just reread your post and realized you're looking for offers for the whole machine. I wish I was closer, I would love to come and look at the machine and make an offer on it. Looking at your list of parts required to fix the machine, I'm thinking it would make a great project. If you don't have another lathe and you need something now....not such a great option. It's pretty rare to find that machine with all of it's tooling intact. I'm pleased with the Sheldon I have and it was just a bare non-functioning machine when I got it. It's still ugly as sin but that doesn't detract from it's usefulness. I hope somebody buys it whole and repairs it. Good luck.

Chuck

I just reread your post and realized you're looking for offers for the whole machine. I wish I was closer, I would love to come and look at the machine and make an offer on it. Looking at your list of parts required to fix the machine, I'm thinking it would make a great project. If you don't have another lathe and you need something now....not such a great option. It's pretty rare to find that machine with all of it's tooling intact. I'm pleased with the Sheldon I have and it was just a bare non-functioning machine when I got it. It's still ugly as sin but that doesn't detract from it's usefulness. I hope somebody buys it whole and repairs it. Good luck.

Chuck

Chuck,
I am thinking the same way now - it would be a shame to part out, so I am starting the quest to re-build. So am on the look out for a tumbler gearbox, if you know of one - let me know.

Back