Shelby GT 500

When the movie was released in Salem, Oregon some teenagers had the same response. After watching the movie, a Mustang was chasing a Charger full of boys. It was all good fun until the Charger lost control and hit the end of a guardrail, which went up over the hood, through the windshield and exited through the back window. In doing so, it whipped around in the passenger compartment, killing all inside. Most by decapitation.

This accident resulted in a State mandate that all guardrails be changed to bring the ends down to ground level.
Oh boy, what could go wrong with that? I bet theres a fair number of cars that go airborne when they loose control….

The issue wasn’t the guardrail, it was the vehicle operators. Lost a fair number of friends to stupidity in cars when I was young. After the 4th or 5th funeral, I learned my lesson and stopped driving like main street was indy…

Last edited:
I’d haul that home in half a heartbeat!

These days, you can build a complete classic mustang with nothing more than a catelog and a tool box.

Some of the Shelby specific stuff might be a little hard to source though and it will never be “all original”, but the vin tag would more than make up for the non-matching parts anyday.

Clones don’t get much (relatively) but if thats a ”real“ Shelby 500, totally worth it to rebuild, even if not with original parts.

Per article its true Shelby. Was a dealership backed drag car. Most of original 427 was in car took apart. Original owner wanted to buy back and restore but a no go. Just sitting going back to earth. Worth a fortune with all the documentation.

I came home from the hospital in a '68 GT500 KR Convertable. It was sold shortly after that. I like to point out to Dad every time one sells at aution. He doesn't think it's as funny as I do...

I had a high school friend who bought a mustang, it needed engine work. he had a tri pack of carbs if I remember, anyway he sent the serial numbers to the shelby club and it came back good. what a lucky buy.

Back